Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 15, 2006, 7:29 AM   #1

I bought myself a new Pentax Optio E10. I am not sure if the quality of the images is supposed to this bad, or if I am doing something wrong. One of the members from my first thread (on which camera to buy) suggested I post the images, so someone can tell if it was my 'fault' or the camera's.

This one is the full image (it has been scaled, by me and photobucket)....

This one is a crop of the cupboard to the left of the monitor... the green and brown part...

I cropped it from the original picture(2816x2112 pixels)....

Photobucket again scaled the image... but this is how bad the image looks @ 100% view(2816x2112pixels), however if i scale it to something like 640x480, it looks pretty ok...

EXIF data:
File size: 202843 bytes
File date: 2006:03:15 05:05:00
Camera make: PENTAX Corporation
Camera model: PENTAX Optio E10
Date/Time: 2006:03:13 22:21:44
Resolution: 512 x 384
Flash used: Yes (auto)
Focal length: 5.5mm
Exposure time: 0.033 s (1/30)
Aperture: f/2.8
ISO equiv.: 200
Whitebalance: Auto
Metering Mode: center weight
Exposure: program (auto)

Camera is 6MP with 3x Optical Zoom and 4x Digital zoom(which i did not use).
We have a Canon Powershot S30(around 3.2MP i think)... I remember it giving great pics, many of which i still use as wallpapers. I dont have a need for very high resolutions, but something wallpaper size(1280x960) would be nice.

So... is this normal( i know the camera didnt cost a bomb) or should i expect better pictures(I mean, less graininess @ 100%).
abattoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:12 AM   #2

Your camera has ISO settings for 64-200 and the shot you've posted is shot at ISO 200. All digital cameras exhibit some noise and the higher the ISO used on a particular camera the more noise. You should see a lot less noise if you shoot at ISO 64 and even at 100 it should be better.

That said I've seen worse noise than in the shot you posted.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 9:23 AM   #3

That doesn't look to bad. In general, it is safe to assume that the highest ISO available on any camera will have a fair amount of noise. Often to the point of not being usable without serious downsizing and/or the use of noise reduction software.

abattoir wrote:
Quote:
...however if i scale it to something like 640x480, it looks pretty ok...
That is expected. When you downsize an image you are "averaging" adjacent pixels. So if you are shooting for the web where the image has to be downsized, high ISO is just fine.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 11:01 PM   #4

Thanks a lot! The images are way better..... .
abattoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 8:09 AM   #5

Hi abattoir,

i would just like to ask what did you do to fix the grainy images? did you lower it to 640x480?

and how'r the pictures after printing them? are they good?

i also have the same camera. would appreciate any assistance.. thanks!

:?

:|
icepik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 9:12 AM   #6

The basic principle for best print quality is:
1) shoot at the lowest ISO setting available on the camera
2) shoot at the highest image quality (resolution) setting available on the camera (on this camera, it looks like 2816 x 2112).

The shots posted in the original message here were shot at ISO 200, at a low resolution, and with sharpening on high, all of which would work to produce more grain or noise artifacts.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 4:03 AM   #7

Hi Norm, thanks for the reply. I regret to say however, that i am not getting any more intelligent when it comes to this topic.. :sad:

If you don't mind, i have listed a few questions to anybody who can shed a light for me (a very newbie digicam owner):

1. What is ISO?
2. How do i adjust the ISO setting on my Pentax optio e10?
3. Am I right to lower the image size of my camera to 640x480 to have sharper images?
4. Should I just sell the darn camera and buy a more newbie friendly digicam? If yes, what do u recommend i buy?

I just noticed the green sorta crosshair; that i should wait for the crosshair to turn green before i shoot. But still I am not quite satisfied with the results. :sad:

In dire need of help,

icepik
icepik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 4:37 AM   #8

icepik wrote:
Quote:
1. What is ISO?
2. How do i adjust the ISO setting on my Pentax optio e10?
3. Am I right to lower the image size of my camera to 640x480 to have sharper images?
4. Should I just sell the darn camera and buy a more newbie friendly digicam? If yes, what do u recommend i buy?

1. Light sensitivity rating, higher number, more sensitive, faster shutter speeds and usually more "noise".

2. Read your manual.

3. No, you want to set it to the highest resolution, you can always resize a copy later if you want it smaller.

4. Read your manual and keep practicing, you'll get it, start in "auto mode" they are usually apretty good starting point.

GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote