Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 2, 2003, 9:23 PM   #1
WMK

Default Which DSC is good for quality photo of small objects ?

Hi, I have a Sony P52 and am quite dissatisfied with its capability in taking fine photos of small objects down to 0.5 inch height. Can anyone recommend me a DSC which can do a good job for that purpose ? Thanks.
WMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2003, 3:58 AM   #2

I don't know Sony products myself (I'm basing my knowledge on Steve's review of the P51, he didn't do the P52), but that camera can get as close as 8cm which is good for most cameras. Some cameras like the Olympus C-5050 (which I do know about) have a super macro mode which can get as close as 2cm. The thing with the C-5050 as well is you can attach closeup/macro converters to the camera which increase the camera's closeup capability. Note that if the P52 can have lenses screwed onto it, you might look into that instead to increase your closeup capability.

For Sony info you'll have to look at Sony's advertising, ask in the Sony forum here, and check with your local CAMERA store (don't go to an electronics store that doesn't know much about photography and lenses) and ask what Sonys (if you want to stick with that brand) can get closeest to an object, and if it can take closeup converters so you can increase the camera's capability. Also ask if there are other brands that can get closer (in case Sony's are limited in that regard).

The other thing you can do is look through all of Steve's reviews and see which cameras can get the closest.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2003, 4:42 AM   #3
WMK

Hi Mike, thank you very much for your detailed advice. I will definitely first look for add-on macro converters for the P52 if it is economically cheaper than buying a brand new camera. On the other hand, from my product research, I found the Sony F717 which can have macro range as close as 0.8inch which is equivalent to 2cm as well. From other people's comments, the Sony F717 uses a Carl Zeiss lens which helps significantly to getting crispy clear photos. Thanks again.

I absolutely agree with you that counter sales of most electronics store know nothing more than price tags. Hope this is not too offensive...

I am deeply impressed by this forum because it shows me there are many people who are kind and helpful.

WMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2003, 6:22 AM   #4

If you do end up thinking about a new camera have a look at the Nikon CP4500. Its macro goes down to 0.8" and the definition is very nice.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote