Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 6, 2003, 7:25 AM   #11

Default Still more

PictureWindow also has available on their site an excellent plug in for both PaintShp and Photoshp called "Color Mechanic" I can highly recommend it. I frankly think that rather than spend mega bucks for PhotoShop which many people do long before they have the skills to use it, start with a smaller investment that could prove to be more than enough. I take a lot of photos if I had to spend a lot of time editing on each one, there would be little time for much else. I try to get it right in the camera.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2003, 7:59 AM   #12
NHL

There's always Microsoft (real easy to use!):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...855117-7885762

$25.99(after rebate) for the PRO version with 'Adobe Photoshop Filter Plug-in support' :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2003, 11:37 AM   #13

I would recommend PSP 8 when it comes out or Elements 2.
sfnitro230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2003, 5:22 PM   #14

Iv'e been using PSP 8 Beta for a while now, and it still blows me away.

The two tools I've been using most on my dad's old slides are straghten and crop.

With straighten, I can move a line and align it with a know angle. Say for example, a beach. I can tell it to make horizontal, and move the line to the horizon, check auto crop, and double click the line. Not only does it make the horizon horizontal, it also crops to the original porportions. I can also choose an angle of 90, choose make vertical, and draw a line from a person's nose to between their feet, check auto crop, and double click. Now the person stands perftectly vertical.

Cropping is amazing. I just discovered that I can specify a print size of 4x6 and it will come up with a crop box. I can move and resize the box any way I want and it will keep it's porportions. Then double click. I can also choose a pixel dimention of 1800x1200 on my scans. If I increase the size of the size of the box, it keeps it's porportions, but increases it's dimentions. This way I can get a perfect 1800x1200 image at 300 ppi once I resize.

These are just two things that blow me away. I gather that with my new 28mm lens, I may need perspective correction. PSP 8 has both barrel and fisheye, so I may soon get to test them.
Melboz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2003, 6:38 PM   #15

Default what to use......

I've been using ulead photoimpact for a long time now. Works great with scans and photos.
macleod76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2003, 9:42 AM   #16

Default Paint Shop Pro 7

PSP 7 does everything I ever need and it's easier to use than Photoshop. It even comes with a $1000 worth of great filters. Iv'e used it to create images as big as 12,000 x 8000 pixels.
nimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2003, 12:46 AM   #17

I have "7 days remaining" for my tryout version of Photoshop 7. I love it, although I'm probably utilizing less than 1% of the software's capabilities. When it's over, it's over though, because there's no way I'm spending $609 bucks for what I use it for.

I've had Ulead Photoimpact 4 for about 2 years now. It cost me $7.50! A friend saw them in Staples on a closeout rack and offered them $15 bucks for the two.

I really like the "Auto levels" in Photoshop. I've done a lot of comparing of processed images between PS & PI. Photoimpact's "Auto Brightness & Contrast" and Auto Hue & Saturation don't produce the same effect as Photoshop's "Auto levels". I can produce a really good match with Photoimpact if I open a Photoshop processed image also, so I have something to compare to.

So basically I don't know what I am looking for anyway! I know my way around Photoimpact pretty well so I'm sticking to it.

Like Normc said: "...long before they have the skills to use it"

Jim
Jim Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2003, 3:15 AM   #18

I like the eyedropper colour balance in PhotoImpact. When there's no obvious white ref. in the pic I can use eyes!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2003, 7:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Robinson
I have "7 days remaining" for my tryout version of Photoshop 7. I love it, although I'm probably utilizing less than 1% of the software's capabilities. When it's over, it's over though, because there's no way I'm spending $609 bucks for what I use it for.
You could look at Photoshop Elements instead...has a lot of the same features as Photoshop, but it's a LOT cheaper.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2003, 11:21 PM   #20

Default What to buy

I use the Photoshop 7.0 but was thinking of getting Photoshop Elements 2.0 for my wife. Amazon has it after rebate from Amazon for $54.99 and if you are upgrading from Elements 1.0 you can get another $30.00 back from Adobe to bring it to $24.99.

The Amazon rebate is only good through April 20th. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...9/mjbdesign-20

Hope this helps,
Mike
mrtoad is offline   Reply With Quote