Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 3, 2003, 3:06 AM   #1

Default Low cost alternative to Photoshop

I would like to edit pics but can't justify the cost for Photoshop.

Interested in the ability to stitch (panoramas) and fix flaws (Airplane contrails in landscapes, etc...).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2003, 4:24 AM   #2

Default 0k

Paintshop Pro is about to release #8 this month. I have use #7 and have liked it. You might also look into Picture Window and the excellent program for filtering called Next Image.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2003, 5:16 AM   #3

Are you thinking of full-blown Photoshop (600 or there abouts) or Photoshop Elements (under 50) ?

I'd certainly recommend Elements. It does panoramas, cloning etc etc.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2003, 6:18 AM   #4

I use Ulead PhotoImpact. But I'd seriously consider dedicated pano software tools for regular pano work.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2003, 9:53 AM   #5

I have tried Paintshop Pro Beta 8, and it wasn't that bad...for the price. I still preferred Photoshop because I'm more comfortable with it when using layers and such. As for Panoramics, I am currently using Panorama Factory, and it has proven to be quite effective.

Oz
The_Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2003, 1:29 PM   #6

if you mean full Photoshop is too expensive (and it is pricey), check out Photoshop Elements 2.0 I lists for $99 USD, but youcan get it for less. You may also qualify for a $30 rebate.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2003, 4:21 PM   #7

Quote:
if you mean full Photoshop is too expensive (and it is pricey), check out Photoshop Elements 2.0 I lists for $99 USD
From the reviews I've read, Jasc's Paint Shop Pro is better than Elements. It too can be found for that price, or cheaper. I am very happy with PSP 7.04, and even happier with PSP 8.0 Beta.

I have a book on Photo Shop 6.0, and from what I've read, PSP has 90% of the same features, and almost all of the commands are similar, if only different wording.

For example, unsharp mask in PS uses Amount, Radius, Threshold.
PSP uses Radius, Strength, Clipping. If you know that Amount is strength, and threshold is clipping, then what's the difference?

Oh, and by the way, I've read the rotate, and perspective portion of the book. PS in this area pales when compared to what PSP 8 can do.
Melboz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2003, 6:44 PM   #8

photoshop elements is a great program and i highly recommend it. photoshop 7 is generally for pro's and it shows by its price tag of 600 bucks. If you are just doing some cropping or adjusting contrast, colors etc there are many real cheap and and maybe free ones you should check out on download.com
kschewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2003, 9:56 PM   #9

Another program to consider is Picture Window.

http://www.dl-c.com/

I have a friend who has both it and photoshop. I haven't used it, but he speaks well of it and he makes a portion of his living doing photography. So he cares about what software he uses more than us Amateurs do.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2003, 1:13 PM   #10

I will have to check out that prog
kschewe is offline   Reply With Quote