Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 3, 2003, 8:19 AM   #1

Default Add deep to pictures???

Need some help.

I will take pictures of houses.
For sure, I will take one or two pictures of outside, but the major problem is the following ;

When I take pictues of inside, bathrooms for exemple, are so small and it's dfficult to see the deep of the room.

So, what will be the better digicam for that kind of work?

I read a lot of threads, they are talking about "wide angle" but I'm just a newbie with the world of photography.

I bought a Canon S230 yesterday...
The 640x480 movie mode is so hot.
I found it a little too small (for controls) and I don't know if i'm too picky, but the LCD seems not as clear as the S30 !!!
(i see little dots on it, like pixels!)

So, I hesitate to return my S230 and take a S30 or S45...
I also checked the Fuji 3800.

I love the tv-output + movie mode w sound of canon cameras...

So i'm pretty sure lot of you will advice me an Olympus but I'm listening...

So please help a bit
Slingky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2003, 8:58 AM   #2
NHL

Quote:
I read a lot of threads, they are talking about "wide angle" but I'm just a newbie with the world of photography.
You need a camera that have a wider field of viewer, but since you already bought a camera, you can also buy a "wide-angle" attachment... The only problem is theses devices tend to distort the picture (ie it looks like through a hotel door)

The CP5000 or the D7's are one of the few cameras that let you go down to 28mm equivalent (ie the lower the wider), most other cameras stop short of 35mm and that is pushing it they rather go for the long tele which is not what you want, but is driven by market demand! :?

... but then you can also learn the art of stitching several pictures together :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2003, 11:16 AM   #3

Default S30 vs s45 -> Wide-Angle

But I saw for S30 : f/2.8 - f/8.0 (wide-angle), f/4.9 - f/8.0 (telephoto)

and for S45 : Maximum Aperture f/2.8-4.9

So, is the S30 better for Wide-Angle ???

P.S. focal length is 7.1-21.3 for both
Slingky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2003, 12:07 PM   #4
lg

I'm not sure of the attachments available for your camera, but a wide angle lens is an accessory lens that screws onto your existing camera and lens and gives you a wider field of view. I bought a wide-angle lens for my camera for the exact reason you specified-- when taking indoor pictures of rooms, you can generally only get the opposite wall in the picture when standing against the opposite wall. With the wide-angle lens attached, I can get the opposite wall and about half of the two adjacent walls in the picture.

Originally, I tried a .5 converter made by Kenko, and I was able to get almost the entire room in the picture (.5x38=19mm). The tradeoff here is that every picture had vignetting (dark spots) in each of the corners, the pictures was fuzzy, and there was quite a bit of parallax (straight lines in picture are curved rather than straight) distortion on both sides of each picture.

Wide angle lenses vary greatly in quality and the field of view. Generally speaking the wider the field of view, the more greatly distorted the picture will be (wrapping around the view at each side). I returned the Kenko and bought an Olympus WCON-08E, which is a 0.8 converter. It converts my camera's widest setting (38mm) to 0.8x38, or about a 30mm lens. There is very little distortion with this lens, and the sharpness is very good.

My suggestion is to try one and see if you like the results you get. If you don't, check out the Add-On Lenses forums for more recommendations. I hope this helps!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2003, 1:42 PM   #5

Default Re: S30 vs s45 -> Wide-Angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingky
But I saw for S30 : f/2.8 - f/8.0 (wide-angle), f/4.9 - f/8.0 (telephoto)
and for S45 : Maximum Aperture f/2.8-4.9
So, is the S30 better for Wide-Angle ???

P.S. focal length is 7.1-21.3 for both
As both cameras have the same focal length, they have the same wide angle capability.

I have to add here that each camera's own focal length is meaningless when comparing to other cameras if they have different size CCDs...it's best to talk about the 35mm camera equivalent size so that we all have a common reference.

For instance, the cameras you mention are 7.1-21.3mm which is 35mm-105mm equivalent. My own camera which is 5.9-59mm actually has less wide angle capability even though the camera's own focal lenth is less, the 35mm equivalent for mine is 38-380mm.

I'm not that familiar with Canons, but looking at those two cameras it doesn't look like you can attach auxillary lenses to them.

Here's a page that shows various wide angle converters attached to a camera similar to mine just to show you what can be accomplished (the camera in this case is a Olympus C-2100UZ with a 38-380mm focal length):

http://members.aol.com/pixbydg/waweb/wa.html
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote