Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 3, 2003, 1:32 PM   #1

Default Megapixels? Camera vs Printer? Compatable?

How do I know how many megapixels I need in a camera to go with my printer? It does not make sense to get a supper powerful camera if the printer can only print VGA pictures.

I have purchased my printer, but not the camera yet.

My printer can print 600x1200 in its highest mode. Or am I missing something?
tnichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2003, 2:12 PM   #2

tnichols

The quality of your printer will limit your ability to make good photo reproduction regardless of the number of MP of your camera. The MP of the camera has limits on the size of the photo you can print with good quality. A 2mp or 3mp camera can produce good 5X7 prints from a good printer. I define a good printer at 2400X1200 output. This type of printer should run about $100. The base camera I would recommend is 3mp, 3X optical zoom. Remember that higher MP cameras will have more features. You must decide what your budget restraints will allow.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2003, 3:25 PM   #3

Default Your Missing Something

To put it simply, get the most megapixels you can afford for your camera. The size you want your final image printed has the greatest impact on what megapixel your camera should be, and this will relate to what DPI (dots per inch) you will want to print at.

Remember, even though you may only have a printer that does 600x1200. You can get services (like www.cordcamera.com) to make true photos up to 16"x20" at 400 DPI (which will look fantastic if you have a super high res camera - 5MP or greater)

Go here for more good info:http://www.cordcamera.com/products/d...ct_ratios.html
Binji7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2003, 4:06 PM   #4

Thanks guys.... So what I am hearing is my printer is not too good for photos.... Its a pretty good printer, I mean its a work horse and prints pretty fast.

So unless I am ready to upgrade the printer, my photo will probably not be the greatest.

But if I wanted to stick with this printer, maybe a 1.3 MB or a 2.0 MB camera might be good enough for this printer...

I would hate to tell you what I am taking pictures with now... I think it has a 352 x 288 resolution. You can see why I need a new camera...

Thanks,
Old Apr 3, 2003, 5:04 PM   #5

tnichols

At least get a 2mp, 3x optical zoom. You can always take your photos to Walmart and have them printed there. I think they charge 26 cents a photo, 4X6.

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2003, 5:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnichols
Thanks guys.... So what I am hearing is my printer is not too good for photos.... Its a pretty good printer, I mean its a work horse and prints pretty fast.

So unless I am ready to upgrade the printer, my photo will probably not be the greatest.
You never mentioned which printer. Most printers these days do a good job with photo printing. Some printers do an excellent job, but even my high-speed printer that's designed for business is good enough.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2003, 7:09 PM   #7

Printers are a lot cheaper than cameras nowadays. Don't buy a camera based on your current printer.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2003, 7:21 PM   #8

Phil - that is a good point... I can always get them printed at Wal Mart.

Mike_Peat - Its an Textronic Printer.

Wildman - You are right, I should not buy a camera based on the printer I have.

Thanks for all this food for thought...
Old Apr 4, 2003, 4:33 PM   #9

Quote:
You can always take your photos to Walmart and have them printed there. I think they charge 26 cents a photo, 4X6.
Gee, that's quite expensive compared to where I go. I go to a local grocery store called Woodman's. They have cheap everything. We get our photos printed on 4x6 for 18 cents a print. It's the same cost for developing film. Also, I looked on the back of the photo, and it said Fuji Archieval! I couldn't beleive that they are printing on Fugi Archival paper for 18 cents a print. And they look FAR nicer than anything I've printed on my HP5550. This is not a dye-sub printer they are useing, it's the same machine they devlop film with. Oh yeah, If you get doubles, it's only 10 cents per double!

Pretty soon they are gonna start selling memory cards, a 64mb Smart Media will only cost $22.47!

If you live anywere in northern Illinois, or Wisconson, I would reccomend you look to see if there is one in your area. Mine is on the East side of Rockford Illinois, about 7mi from my house, but only 2 blocks from my college!

Anyway, just thought I'd tell ya!
Melboz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2003, 6:56 PM   #10

Don't get anything less then 2mp. a good 2mp cam will do a excellent 4x6 print. I would recommend atleast a 3mp camera since the prices are now pretty reasonable. Keep your printer it will be great for printing text and color prints. My opinion is to view your prints on a computer or tv and the ones you want printed out take them to walmart. The quality is great and it is cheaper to get prints done for now. check out tomshardware.com. They have a new article reviewing the hp printer which might answer a few of your questions
kschewe is offline   Reply With Quote