Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 17, 2006, 1:15 PM   #1

I have read that a lot of the S2 owners use a high speed memory card. I know what the difference is between a regular and a high speed card, but I'm not sure which one is right for my needs. Is there really an added benefit to the high speed cards when I really won't be doing any movies and I probably won't be doing any continuous shooting and I'm not even sure what burst photo is. (I'm still learning and trying to stray away from all the presets on the camera)

Thanks

Cindi
ecx350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2006, 12:48 PM   #2

If you typically take a single shot and don't try to tke another photo until several seconds or more later, and never shoot video, you shouldn't see any difference between a 1x and a 50x or faster card in your camera's performance. But if you enjoy photographing small children, pets, birds, sports, etc. where the subject frequently moves quickly, using the camera's "burst" mode makes it easier to capture a good shot. If you just take a single shot and hope for the best, there's a good chance the subject will be at least partly out of frame. In "burst" mode (often 3 or more frames per second for as long as you hold the shutter or for some arbitrary number of shots, such as 4, 10, or so depending on the specific camera) you need fast memory so the camera won't stall while waiting for the images to be written to memory.

On the other hand, good fast cards usually aren't very much more expensive than slow ones, so I recommend always using fast cards. You'll also be able to download pictures to your computer faster with a fast card. Kingston ELITE PRO 1GB SD 50x cards are less than $50 at newegg.com.
DaveLundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 2:44 PM   #3

Thanks for the explanation on burst mode. I ended up buying the faster card and now I'm glad I did. :-)
ecx350 is offline   Reply With Quote