Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 17, 2006, 7:17 PM   #1
Dx

thinking of buying myself a new backpack for all my camera gear, currantly i have a shoulder bag which can be to big and bulky to carry around when its filled up to the max, so i'm considering a smaller more versitile backpack but am undecided on what to get etc

what does everyone in here use and what's their opinion on it??

i'm one of these rare breeds of amatuer photograghers who still uses both digital and film so this is what i carry on a normal trip

digital camera and spare batteries

film camera and 4 other lenses

15 filters

tripod

GPS unit(portable)

various other bits and pieces

thanks

Dx
Dx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2006, 10:57 AM   #2

It depends!

Check out the Accessories forum here where it comes up repeatedly.

Basically, I find an airline compliant hardshell (Pelican 1510) and a small bag to take away from that work best. Only you can decide.

I know that a lot of people like backpacks, but I find them too cumbersome for most applications. OK, they're nice on a camping trip. Crumpler bags are popular, but I don't like that it's not that easy to lash on a tripod and monopod. Petrol bags have all kinds of options for that.

Whenever I carry around the backpack, I find myself leaving it in the trunk of the car and taking what I really need from there.
reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 1:04 AM   #3

check out the Lowepro backpacks...for the amount you carry, you'll have to look at ones higher than their micro and mini lines...they do have them large enough for all your stuff, if not, you're carrying too much stuff, lol...
roy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 11:59 AM   #4

A Lowbrow mini should fit all you have plus room for a pair of jandles. You could however go upper class and get a tamrac exp5. Backpack or acking back, choice is simple, A?
Thaipo Negative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 11:37 PM   #5

This is the rig I recently took on vacation to NYC:

1. Tamrac 777 - a true beast, but it packs along virtually everything I could imagine using for a week, including three cameras, film, battery chargers, lenses, filters, flash, monopod,etc. Fully loaded this is well over 20 lb.

2. A $1 over the shoulder backpack - just big enough to carry two cameras, a spare lens and some film.

The Tamrac stayed in the hotel most of the time, but I had the reassurance that I had a complete kit at my disposal. For day trips around the city, I selected the most appropriate gear and packed it in the small bag. This one-strap backpack had the flexibility of being carried over-the-shoulder in traditional fasion, but it could also be quickly twisted around to the front for easy access to cameras. This is also handy on crowded trains where you might prefer to shield your cameras against your tummy. The small bag folds up small enough to fit in the front of the Tamrac without adding much weight or bulk to the kit.

I found this setup worked very well for me; I had my full kit to choose from, but I was never more loaded than I needed to be.

One caveat - security personel tend to look a little closely at ordinary folks with backpacks strapped to their front. My brother in law and I were asked to leave the lobby of a certain Times Square hotel... ah well, such is the price of freedom.

Cheers,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 6:41 AM   #6

Just leave the premises, you were lucky. If you had been in the UK you would be thrown too the floor and shot in the head.
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:01 AM   #7
rey

Quote:
My brother in law and I were asked to leave the lobby of a certain Times Square hotel
LOL. That's really funny, reminds of my recent experience. I was in Embarcadero in San Francisco at night a couple of months ago, and when I went to the side, kneeled down by the light to change lens, two security guards rushed up to me and asked me what I was doing! I showed them my camera and lenses, and explained to them that I need the light to change my lens. :-)

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 2:36 AM   #8

rey wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
My brother in law and I were asked to leave the lobby of a certain Times Square hotel
LOL. That's really funny, reminds of my recent experience. I was in Embarcadero in San Francisco at night a couple of months ago, and when I went to the side, kneeled down by the light to change lens, two security guards rushed up to me and asked me what I was doing! I showed them my camera and lenses, and explained to them that I need the light to change my lens. :-)

It wasn`t funny for the poor boy who was shot,nor his family

geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 4:46 AM   #9

Welcome to the modern world. Believe me, people do get used to all these security measures and learn quickly how to behave. Unfortunately, terrible mistakes also happen sometimes. And it's not that funny when you arein this statistics.

Sorry for off-topic.
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 2:43 PM   #10
rey

geriatric, clearly when I quoted Tom Overton's experience with his brother in law as being funny, I meant HIS experience was funny, not a little boy getting shot in the head. Please don't misquote me.

Peace.
rey is offline   Reply With Quote