Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 21, 2006, 3:20 AM   #21

geriatric wrote:
Quote:
To and too, that is another stupid part of this language. My motto is "Keep it simple"
LOL...here's a good one for a Brit...i could never figure how they come up with saying the word A-L-U-M-I-N-U-M as A-L-U-M-I-N-I-U-M...where did the extral vowel come from?...lol...same with color = colour or flavor = flavour...is adding extra letter/vowels keeping it simple?...just kiddin' with ya...

roy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 6:34 AM   #22

I am in full agreement with you. centre = center, there must be plenty more. Its a throwback to about the 11th century. Now should that be "TO" or "TOO" F***** if I know.
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 6:52 AM   #23

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium#Spelling

Colour was the original spelling, the US removed the unnecessary/unecesary vowel and sent it to gaol/jail. Can you here me? You know what is meant, so why have two/to/too spellings?
Thaipo Negative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 10:33 AM   #24

Because quite simply they have three different meanings,which isnot the most difficult of concepts to grasp. Without the distinction in spelling, the opportunity for ambiguity arises.

Thaipo thevowel 'u' inthe word 'colour' was far fromunnecessary. Please take a moment to reflect onthesubject of pronunciation in this respect.

You spelt the word 'hear' incorrectly by the way, 'here' refers to alocation not an auditory faculty.

You have in essence answered your own question.

SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 10:41 AM   #25

Quote:
You spelt the word 'hear' incorrectly by the way, 'here' refers to alocation not an auditory faculty.

Of course I did braniac, that was the whole point.
Quote:
You have in essence answered your own question.

Exactly; how else would you know I made a "mistake" unless you knew the correct meaning? How did you know it was the wrong spelling? By the CONTEXT and that was the whole point, how you didnt get something so obvious is the real mystery.:?

Old Mar 21, 2006, 10:50 AM   #26

Quote:
Because quite simply they have three different meanings,which isnot the most difficult of concepts to grasp. Without the distinction in spelling, the opportunity for ambiguity arises.

Quite simply, we know this, thats the point. Although they have different meanings, which meaning is usually understood by the context, not the spelling.

I have two go two the........

I have to different versions.........

Are yougoing to.........

Perhaps if you can show an example of where someone would be unable to distinguish which meaning was implied and therefore needed the spelling to enable them to understand the correct interpretation?
Old Mar 21, 2006, 10:57 AM   #27

Quote:
Thaipo thevowel 'u' inthe word 'colour' was far fromunnecessary. Please take a moment to reflect onthesubject of pronunciation in this respect.

So if Irite color, you dont no wateye am talking about? The U was just a throback from the original concept. Words evolve, language evolves; people used to say, "thee" and "thou".
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:15 AM   #28

Quote:
Because quite simply they have three different meanings,which isnot the most difficult of concepts to grasp
Now I get it, gee whiz MrWilson,why didnt I thing of that? :?
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:42 AM   #29

Quote:
Quote:

Quite simply, we know this, thats the point. Although they have different meanings, which meaning is usually understood by the context, not the spelling.

Perhaps if you can show an example of where someone would be unable to distinguish which meaning was implied and therefore needed the spelling to enable them to understand the correct interpretation?
John went 2 C.

So what/where did John do/go?

Did Sam go 2 . . .?
( Possible sentence fragment: "To where?" one might think, or did he mean "also"?)

I want Jane 2
(another possible fragment sentence--"want her 2 do what?" Or does it mean I'm polyamorous?)

Jane likes 2 frequent wrestling matches.
Does she like to hang around them, or does she like those that occur with excessive frequency?

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:57 AM   #30

I think you need some grammar lessons first. The first 3 you havent finished the sentences, and the last:

If she likes to hang around them, you would write, liked, rather than likes

She liked to frequent

Your second version? nonsensical. Very bad attmept, try harder. I am sure there must be occasions where you need two differentiate using spelling. Its a matter of weather it is really needed or whether it is just a throwback from Sheik Spear?