Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 7, 2002, 2:51 AM   #1

Default Want some advice on first digi cam

I am looking to get my first digital camera in a couple of months. I was looking seriously at the Kodak DX4900, but am rethinking my options. The Kodak seems to have good saturation right from the camera, but it also seems to be compressed to much when viewing at 100%. I know I will resize the image, but it is just a little detail that is noticed.

What I am looking at now is an Olympus 3020. The pictures seem pretty good, and I can tweak them if I have to with Photo Edit 10 (Corel). I like that it takes 4 batteries rather than the dx4900's 2. It is a little more expensive than the Kodak, but I hear so much good stuff about Olympus and some of the pictures taken with other olympus cameras seem quite good. I have looked for more pictures taken with the Oly 3020 (besides Steves), but seem to come up short.

Am I on the right track? If you were looking into a first digital camera and had about $400-$500 to spend on a camera what would you look for. It doesn't have to be either of the cameras I am looking at, but needs to be in the price range.

I will be taking photos of outside and inside objects. I'm not really sure what I will be photographing, but want something that will do a decent job. I don't think I will need extreme zooming, but the Oly 3020 can be used with a variety lenses.

I have a decent color printer, but the main thing I want to do is make digital scrap books for me and my family. Plus I like fullscreen slide show type of thing ( like with Irfanview). It will probably be about 2 months before I am ready to purchase a camera, so if something is comming out between now and then that you know of please let me know.

One last little thing, I have pretty big hands and the Kodak dx4900 seems kind of awkward and "toy" feeling. It doesn't seem very sturdy, so a little bigger camera would be great.

Thanks for reading all of this and if you can help me out with some advice I would appreciate it.

Willoughby
Willoughby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2002, 12:03 PM   #2
lg

Take a look at the Olympus C2100. Compare the sharpness of images to the other cameras you are looking at. Consider features and accessories included in the package (10X optical zoom, digitally stabilized lens, batteries, charger and remote included). If you're looking for a bigger camera, this one has the look and feel of an old SLR camera. Don't balk at a 2 megapixel camera until you see some results from it.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2002, 2:57 PM   #3

Default Also considering the Minolta S404

Thanks for the response. I came across the Minolta S404 and am thinking seriously about it. I usually don't hop around when I want something, but I found out that with cameras I need to see what is out there. The S404 is a more expensive, but I want to get something that will do a good job and last a long time. I have heard about some of the quirks of the S404. The extended focus and other problems with the lens housing if touched and some other ones, but it seems like it delivers decent pictures and looks durable. I don't think digital cameras can take very much abuse, but it looks a little more sturdy than some of the plastic cameras.

I have heard about the C2100uz and it is in the same price range as the Minolta, but I am a little leary of it. I really don't know why? The C2100uz does offer good pictures and the stabilizatiion feature is really nice. I guess I will look more into it before I decide.

Thanks for the advice.

Willoughby

[Edited on 7-8-2002 by Willoughby]

[Edited on 7-8-2002 by Willoughby]
Old Jul 8, 2002, 5:01 PM   #4

Since you're not in a rush, I'm wondering what will happen to the pricing of present models when the new Nikon 4500 and 5700 become widely available. Just a thought.
Robert Eastburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2002, 6:21 PM   #5

I didn't know that there were newer models entering the market soon. Hopefuly the current models will drop in price.

What I am aiming for is to buy a camera before fall comes so I can catch the changing color of the leaves on trees etc.

Thanks for the post.

Willoughby
Old Jul 13, 2002, 11:06 PM   #6

Well I have done a lot of checking on different models of digital cameras. I looked into the Minolta 7I, Sony 707 and Fuji S602. The 7I and 707 being 5mp cameras and the S602 being 3mp. All have nice features. I looked in my area for all the cameras. I was unable to find a 7I, which means that I donít know how the camera would feel in my hands.

I did find a S602 at a local electronics store and it feels pretty good. It didnít have any memory in it so I couldnít take any pictures to see what they look like. I like that it is a little bigger than some of the pocket cameras. It didnít have batteries; it was using a power adapter. I am unsure of how the weight of the batteries would make the camera feel. Steveís pictures look pretty good and I printed one out at almost 8.5X11 and it looks pretty good from my old HP 932C printer. The main thing that I will be using the camera for is viewing on a computer, not printing.

The 707 just doesnít feel right. I like a traditional feeling, looking camera.

I will continue to look and see what I can find. Thank you for posting in this thread.

Also thanks to Steve for all the info he has gathered and put in one place.

Willoughby