Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 4, 2003, 10:46 AM   #1

Default What's the difference?

My Sony DSC-P32 has Fine and Standard quality. I can have a combination of different megapixel and quality of Fine or Standard. I have taken several pictures using two qualities and other than the compression (size) differences, I don't see any differences at all in the overall picture quality. Could one of you professionals please tell me if I should just stick with Standard quality, 'cause that way, I can fit more pictures in my 128MB memory stick?
nepali is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2003, 11:34 AM   #2

Default It all matters when u print

If you print large photos, 8x10 or greater then u will start to see a difference. Take 2 of the same images in the 2 compression modes. Zoom in 200 or 400 % and u will see the difference.
Binji7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2003, 11:51 AM   #3

No Professional I!! But the difference is in the amount of compression. If You compare two images one at fine one and one standard; zooming in on the two at some point You would start to see more compression artifacts in the Standard quality image. Now the real question is what are You going to do with the image how big are You going to view/print that image. If you are just going to print 4x6 pictures then standard compression will be OK. If you get that one GREAT shot and You want the max out if it, then would be real nice to have started with the max that your camera can give. You can always lose Quality You can never get it back.

Hope this helps
rlpumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2003, 11:55 AM   #4

Thank you, Binji7 and rlpumphrey.
nepali is offline   Reply With Quote