Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 23, 2006, 9:03 AM   #1
me2

I'd like to start printing a large number of digital images that we have accumulated.

There are several digital printers in my area. Walmart, Costco, a few drug stores, etc.

Before we start printing, I'd like to identify which is the best printing service.

What series of pictures or images should I send to each printer to compare their quality ? By images, I mean something that I could make up, like a color/tone burst, etc. Or is there something already on the 'net I could use ?
me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2006, 9:39 AM   #2

Try going to this site http://www.peak-imaging.co.uk/select customer help and support, from the menu at the left select monitor calibration guide. Click for the rough and ready guide to monitor calibration. If you live in the UK you can order a print via e-mail. Wherever you live you can download the image file. It has a grey scale and a range of subjects on 1 print.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 12:03 PM   #3
me2

That test image was great. I added a few objects to it myself and sent it off to 4 retail printers to compare their quality and prices. It should be very interesting to see the differences. Thanks for the tip.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 12:28 PM   #4

www.mpix.com

imo: no test needed
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 9:24 PM   #5
me2

OK... I sent off test prints to 5 local print services. I've got 3 sets of prints back. There is quite a bit of difference between them in terms of graininess, color, brightness, etc. Thus far Costco is winning. I'm surprised, because one print place was considerably more expensive and prided itself on being higher quality.

Now... I'd like to match my monitor coloring to the prints. My software driver has gamma, red, green and blue settings. The monitor iself has red, green and blue settings as well. However, the monitor is much,much brighter than all the prints thus far.

How should I approach adjusting my monitor so that I will know what the prints look like ?

Thanks.