Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 27, 2006, 12:20 AM   #1

I'm not sure if this is the right place but...

I decided that I don't want to buy a DSLR when I'm only going to be using it 10 times a year. So I decided I need to rent one. Pictureline.com seems to have a dream deal for me right now with the Canon EOS 20D at $70 a day. I was prepared to spend no more then $300 for a weekend so this is just perfect. I haven't been able to get a hold of them though.

I know I probably won't get much help since most of you own cameras but...
  1. Is Pictureline good?[/*]
  2. Does the Canon EOS 20D perform well WITHOUT flash in lowlight conditions and capturing moving people?[/*]
  3. Is it fairly easy to use? Can I pick up the basics of using the camera in under a day?
    [/*]
  4. If not Pictureline, what other camera rental places should I try out?[/*]
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
SecondRoundKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2006, 2:13 PM   #2

1 - never used Pictureline, nor have I heard of them. Can't help there.
2 - Without a flash, low light shots to stop moving people is near impossible. Your only choice is to bump the ISO up very high and depend on noise reduction software. Look for examples of high ISO images and get some demo noise reduction software. Try removing the noise and decide if the images are "good enough" for you. It's a question of your standards... for my standards, the answer is no.
3 - If you've used a camera fairly seriously before then it won't be a problem.
4 - It depends on where you live. www.calumetphoto.com rents, but they are a real walk-in store with a variety of locations.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 9:24 PM   #3

I'm so sorry for the bump but the occasion I need a camera for is on Friday...I REALLY need help here. Pictureline is a joke. They would charge me both of the days that it had to be shipped, plus shipping (so that's like $260 for shipping and the days I don't have my camera). So yeah...not from them.

Does anyone know ANYWHERE where I can rent a DSLR for just one day? And by chance, does anyone know a rental place in the Bay Area? I know it's a very off chance but I'm kind of desperate.
Old Apr 16, 2006, 10:22 AM   #4

SecondRoundKO wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure if this is the right place but...

I decided that I don't want to buy a DSLR when I'm only going to be using it 10 times a year. So I decided I need to rent one. Pictureline.com seems to have a dream deal for me right now with the Canon EOS 20D at $70 a day. I was prepared to spend no more then $300 for a weekend so this is just perfect. I haven't been able to get a hold of them though.

I know I probably won't get much help since most of you own cameras but...
  • Some food for thought:

Even if you get charged $25 a day for a dSLR, that's $250 for the year. If you're going to need it for only one year or two, then maybe it's worth renting. If you'll need it for more than that, you can buy probably buy a used one for just a little more than three years of renting.

JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 3:25 PM   #5

I would need this no more then 6 or 7 times a year and I don't have the money nor the willingness to spend that amount of money on something I'll use so seldomly. $25 a day would be a dream hahaa
Old Apr 17, 2006, 9:33 AM   #6

#3 worries me. If you never used a SLR before, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO JUST PICK IT UP AND LEARN!!

Anyone can use a camera, but it takes a while to use it well. I considered myself a fast learner and read many books on photography but I am still having problems with some of my shots. I have been using a dSLR ever since Crhistmas of 05, and most of my shots still come out over/underexposed. I try not to use the automatic mode because when I do the picture just dont come out right. I understand and know what each settings mean in the manual mode but I still have trouble getting the right exposure.

So unless if you have experiance with a SLR camera, You will NOT be able to just pick it up and learn the basics. Their is more to shooting then just pointing and pressing the button.

If those pictures are really important for you, I would recommond you BUY a good PnS camera NOW and learn as much as you can before the big day. I bet you can get better pictures that way then to just blinding shot with a camera you dont know anything about and hope for the best.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 1:03 PM   #7

Well my uncle is my photogrrapher and he knows how to use one. He just doesn't have one...