Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 6, 2003, 10:42 PM   #1

Default Best digicam for wideangle?

I want some help please.

The 1st thing that my digicam will be for is pictures of rooms.

And I want deep, so wideangle is a must.

The vendor sold me a Nikon 4500 + WC-E63 WideAngle part.

But I steel have some trouble to get good pictures with the wideangle inside the house when there is not a lot of light.
And i can't use the flash because of the wideangle.

At the same price or less, I may take a Fuji 3800 or Canon G2.

So, what's the best digicam for what I want to do ?

I also want to do a lot of 360 views, so i want a good digicam with stitch or panorama assist if possible.

Thanks,
Maxime
Slingky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2003, 1:09 AM   #2

The 3800 is not good for low light as it is stuck at iso 100. Have you tried the different iso ratings on the nikon (especially 400 or 800) or the museum scene mode? If not, I'd suggest you try that before dishing out another couple hundred
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 2:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark50
The 3800 is not good for low light as it is stuck at iso 100. Have you tried the different iso ratings on the nikon (especially 400 or 800) or the museum scene mode? If not, I'd suggest you try that before dishing out another couple hundred
Everyone says that but it takes great night shots. Problem is, you can't see through the EVF!!!!! Once you take a shot it is invariably beautifully taken.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 2:16 AM   #4

Default Re: Best digicam for wideangle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingky
I want some help please.
The vendor sold me a Nikon 4500 + WC-E63 WideAngle part.

But I steel have some trouble to get good pictures with the wideangle inside the house when there is not a lot of light.
And i can't use the flash because of the wideangle.

At the same price or less, I may take a Fuji 3800 or Canon G2.

So, what's the best digicam for what I want to do ?

I also want to do a lot of 360 views, so i want a good digicam with stitch or panorama assist if possible.
The best wide angle is Nikon Coolpix 5000 plus WC-E68. It can go as wide as 19mm (35mm SLR equivalent). If linear distortion is not a big problem, you might consider 4500 plus FC-E8 (Fisheye) or 5000 plus FC-E8.

Whether you are using the 4500 or 5000, you certainly can use flash. However, instead of the tiny internal flash, you need an external flash. A good external flash can cover at least 24mm. So, the 4500 plus WC-E63 is good enough because this combo gives you 24mm (35mm SLR equivalent). As for the 5000 plus WC-E68, you will need a flash that can go as wide as 19mm. Nikon's SB80DX with its diffuser can do that. Moreover, the external will likely be in manual mode for better exposure control.

You need a pano tool for 360 view. No camera can produce a 360 pano view for you.

The "External Flash" section of my 4500 user guide covers some basics of using an external flash in manual or automatic mode.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 user guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 11:45 AM   #5

Default D7x Series hands down

The D7 series from Minolta can go to 17mm (28mm in 35mm format equiv). If you use the Sigma EF-500 DG Super it has a built in wide angle that is 17mm too.
Binji7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 4:29 PM   #6
lg

If the reason you can't use the internal flash is because it casts a shadow of the wide angle adapter, an external flash is the way to go, as shene suggested above.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 9:38 PM   #7

Quote:
...The 1st thing that my digicam will be for is pictures of rooms.

And I want deep, so wideangle is a must. ...
Lighting is an issue.

Another issue is, "What are you going to do with the pictures?" Full page glossy? 3x4" on newsprint? That will say a lot about the quality of lens you need - a serious point with add on lenses to get really wide angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingky also
... I also want to do a lot of 360 views, so i want a good digicam with stitch or panorama assist if possible. ...
That is much more a function of the software you use than anything to do with the camera. You do want a way to lock the exposure/white balance/..., but in all other ways the panorama assist function of the camera is bogus. No real advantage over manual settings.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2003, 7:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDrew
That is much more a function of the software you use than anything to do with the camera. You do want a way to lock the exposure/white balance/..., but in all other ways the panorama assist function of the camera is bogus. No real advantage over manual settings.
Unless you count the guidelines some cameras put on the LCD...it helps when doing panoramics (for some people).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2003, 8:21 AM   #9

Lot of good advice.

I think I will exchange my 4500 for a G2.

Much more feature, better in low light condition, i checked with the comparmeter at imaging-resource.com and I think the G2 is better in all except Macro.

But, for wideangle, the vendor said the Nikon is the best.

But i don't want to add an external flash, so...
Slingky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2003, 11:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Lot of good advice.

I think I will exchange my 4500 for a G2.
But, for wideangle, the vendor said the Nikon is the best.
Don't trust one vendor's advice...they may just say that to get rid of a camera, or may be misinformed.

Also should add that some people may be biased towards a particular brand, so you should personally check out the specs of the various cameras, and then try them for yourself.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote