Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 27, 2006, 12:27 PM   #1

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question but here goes. Have any of you guys ever heard of the Inernational Society of Photographers? I submitted a photo to picture.com for a contest and they have contacted me praising my work and offering me membership in their organization. It sounds like quite an honor, but I am not sure about them. Hope someone can shed some light on these guys for me. :?
dboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2006, 1:13 PM   #2
DBB

dboarder wrote:
Quote:
Not sure if this is the right place to post this question but here goes. Have any of you guys ever heard of the Inernational Society of Photographers? I submitted a photo to picture.com for a contest and they have contacted me praising my work and offering me membership in their organization. It sounds like quite an honor, but I am not sure about them. Hope someone can shed some light on these guys for me. :?
You are being scammed!

http://dpchallenge.com/forum.php?act...READ_ID=366498

Go to Google and type up their name "International Society of Photographers"

Apparently related to to the International Society of Poets, :G

You're much better off in the future sending me money. I will in return send you an engraved thank you note, suitable for framing...

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 12:05 AM   #3

I suspected as much. That is why I called upon my friends here at Steve's.

Fortunately, I haven't sent them anything and don't plan to now.
dboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 8:01 AM   #4

I submitted a photo to their contest a couple of years ago and became suspicious by their "Congratulations, you're a semi-finalist!" letter, which was way over the top. The photo I sent was pretty good, but it wasn't that good. I could see it being a semi-finalist, but the letter's verbiage was just too much. Talk about schmaltz!

I did some checking here at Steve's and some other websites and discovered that this is pretty much a scam. From what I can gather, the contest is sort of legitimate, they do actually award prizes, etc. And they do put together books, etc., that are sold primarily to the contributing photographers. But I glanced at some of the other photos that were being published alongside mine and quickly realized that just about any photo that's submitted gets published.

The funny thing is, these guys are still emailing me, trying to get me to buy a commemorative plaque, pay for a huge enlargement of my photo so that it may be displayed somewhere, membership in their elite society, etc. I never bought the book and I haven't grabbed onto any of the other bait they've sent me either. They're a bit of a nuisance, but in an amusing sort of way.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 2:19 PM   #5

Just to add to what seems to be the concensus, I received an email from "The International Society of Photographers" today, notifying me that, on the basis of one of my photographs (which I had submitted to Pop Photo for their annual contest - don't know how these guys got hold of it), I had been selected to the International
Society of Photographers. I was instantly suspicious (this, even though I tend to be a Pollyanna with a (euphamism for a male body part that starts with "p" - you know, to have alliteration with Pollyanna - LOL!) But this sounded like those "Whose Who" letters, where they try to sell you a copy of their book. In this case, they were trying to sell me a print of this photo, on canvas, with various size and frame alternatives (with prices starting at around $200), and to tell me that the photo "might" be put on display at their convention in Las Vegas in March.

So, this just confirms, "The International Society of Photographers" indeed appears to be a scam.
eagledancer1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 8:52 PM   #6

It's called Vanity Publishing. Works pretty much the same way with fiction, poetry, you name it. You give them money to publish your work, along with others'. They send you a copy, and everyone is happy (?). If you expect more, then yes, it is a scam.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 5:16 PM   #7

HI, MY NAME IS JODIE AND I HAVE NEVER BEEN TO THIS WEBSITE BEFOR TODAY, YA SEE I WAS SEARCHING FOR THIS INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY OF PHOTOGRAPHERS AS WEEL AS YOU. I TOO SENT IN A PICTURE TO PICTURES.COM AND GOT THE SAME EMAILAS YOU. IT KIND OF STARTED SOUNDING MORE LIKE THEY WERE TRYING TO SELL ME THINGS. SO I TRYED LOOKING FOR THIS INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY OFPHOTOGRAPHERS AND THE CLOSES THING I FOUND WAS YOU. SO I GUESS IM JUST SAYING IM IN THE SAME BOAT AND LOOKING FOR THE SAME ANSWER. SO IF YOU FIND IT BEFORE ME CAN YOU HELP ME OUT?
JMDAVID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 6:06 PM   #8

I don't think the International Society of Photographers is actually a scam or a hoax. It will do exactly what it says it will do. But if their advertising materials make them look like more than they actually are, that's your problem.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 8:38 PM   #9

wait until you get the one telling you about the Editor's choice award - that is only awarded to 12% of the submissions. If you want your name on the hunk of wood it will only cost you 75 bucks. I don;t think I have ever laughed so hard.....
kategriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 6:11 PM   #10

I have been dealing with picture dot com for over 2 years now. I came across your website because, like others, I couldn't find anything on the International Society of Photographers. I Googled it, and here I am. I have a couple of photos that have won "awards" and publishing.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"My question is, does anyone know a LEGITIMATE place to enter and display photos? I'm starting a portfolio, but not sure exactly what I'm doing yet. Please help!!!

busy1dee is offline   Reply With Quote