Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Reflex cameras?
Good idea 2 33.33%
Bad idea 4 66.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 7, 2003, 4:36 AM   #1

Default Idea?

Why does not some manufacture produce a digital camera design simlar to a twin lens reflex camera. It could have a really large and shaded pop up LCD and the waist level shooting would produce steady shots? : :idea:
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2003, 7:45 AM   #2

I see a problems with this and an alternative.

1) It would cost too much. The price of LCDs are coming down, but they are still expensive. And ss you enlarge them, the cost grows faster than their size.

2) With the swivel mounted LCD on some camers (notibly a lot of the CoolPix line) you already have some of that ability right there. Sure, the LCD on them isn't big enough for holding it at arms length and do really complex composition. But it still works. You could hold it at your waist and turn the LCD so you could see it.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2003, 10:32 AM   #3

Default Sure

It's only an idea and thank you for your reply. My experience is that most LCD's do not work in bright light and that hoods shades and the like are all extra add ons. The fact that it swivels is nice ( I'm disabled so I use this feature a lot ) but you still end up with the light problem. I can not access the menues on my 995 in bright light and end up going to the auto mode ect...
Old Apr 8, 2003, 8:53 PM   #4

There are some shades which I've read good things about. They make them for the 995. But I assume they don't work when the LCD is swiveled out. It's something to look into, though.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2003, 3:42 AM   #5

What about a virtual reality gamers headset, plugged into the TV out!! You'd have to watch out you didn't fall over though.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2003, 7:09 AM   #6

Default OK

Well I certainly would not want anyone to fall over. My thoughts were for a camera along the lines of the old twin lens reflex cameras only digital. These old cameras had large frosted glass viewing screens that had pop up screening that provided a lot of shade for the view finder. As for all the existing LCD designs it seems that we have all but exhausted the options for there use? I have seen one case where a photographer fashioned a shield out of foam from a cup holder. What the heck we pay a lot for our cameras why does a customer have to resort to add on devices either purchased or home made to get to use them in sun light? Most of us like to do our photography on nice days.
Old Apr 9, 2003, 11:51 AM   #7

Quote:
why does a customer have to resort to add on devices either purchased
:x exactly. Why do we have to pay extra for power windows? :x

There are design considerations that have been left out of even the top end digicams. And they are not for the sake of extras. The top canon, olympus nikons and minoltas do not have acceptable choices for their shortcommings even if you want to pay for them.

Thats ok( :twisted: ):by the time people start complaining about these models, the new line will come out, we will all be excited and happy for a while, and then the process will start again. Eventually, they will get better and better, and DSLRs will get cheaper and cheaper...
(excuse the sarcasm, it was all meant in good spirit- just commenting on the marketing process more than anything).
cheers.
tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote