Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Straps?
Yes 20 74.07%
No 3 11.11%
Sometimes 4 14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 29, 2006, 4:14 PM   #11

With my A1, I rarely used the neck strap. It just got in the way, I eventually got a wrist strap instead since I held the camera in my hand all day. I didnt have a camera bag at all.

Now, my 5D hangs from my neck. Its too dang heavy to hold on to all the time. I also need someplace to put the camera when I need both hands, often I am wandering around with it for a long time. A DSLR dosent just slip in the pocket... Now I carry my lowepro slingshot bag most of the time so I could just put it away, but not in between pictures.

The neck strap has become essential to me.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 6:52 PM   #12

I always have a neck strap on all my DSLRs...
But since I almost always have the camera on a tripod, the strap gets in the way most of the time. So I've been thinking about getting a strap with a quick release clip. then just keep the unattached part of the strap in my camera back when not using it.

The problem is one of complete paranoia. When plastic stresses it has micro fractures and then breaks outright. In other words, you have no warning it just breaks. Straps with the quick release systems use plastic for the clips. Metal parts bend first, its quite clear when they are going to break so you can replase the parts (or stop using it.) So I prefer using straps that have no plastic parts.

Of course, I have no idea what the "expected usage life" of the proudct is... it might be 10 years, (i.e. I'll probably loose it or wear out the padding before the plastic would break) so this could be an illogical fear.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 12:20 AM   #13

Heh heh, Justin! Glad I'm not the only one who started off with the straps backwards. I just got a D50 and was SO frustrated at the appalling bulkiness of the straps...until I read the directions and realized that they were backwards...:roll:
lisascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 2:00 AM   #14
E.T

Both neck strap and hand strap.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 3:24 PM   #15

allways allways use strap digi slrs are not for dropping

Gospel..............i like that strap u got.....gonna look for one in england, anything to avoid the swing forward as u lean as gotta be good

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 6:06 PM   #16

Gary, you can find the shoulder straps at hunting or birding supply places.

Good luck!
Steven
Gospel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 7:22 PM   #17

I dont they are annoying

and yes I have dropped and broke my camera, I guess i wont learn
kiddk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 7:34 PM   #18

I use a wrist strap .. i havent even tried the neck straps and ive had my camera for almost a year .. but i will not use my camera without the wrist strap . it feels to insecure to just hold it in your hand .. one lil bump from someone or something .. and there goes your camera .. ive even seen a lil yorkie jump up and bump a hand and ooops there goes the camera right on the lens .. even if im in the house i still use it .. i dont trust neck straps .. :shock:

Marion
Marn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 8:00 PM   #19

I don't understand - how can neck straps be useful ?

If you wear the camera via a neck strap - the camera seems to keep bouncing and hitting around when you are walking, and it feels weird .....

ELDDJOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 8:42 PM   #20

ELDDJOC wrote:
Quote:
I don't understand - how can neck straps be useful ?

If you wear the camera via a neck strap - the camera seems to keep bouncing and hitting around when you are walking, and it feels weird .....

I think it bounces more for us being women .. :G:G things on us tend to bounce :?

Marion
Marn is offline   Reply With Quote