Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 1, 2006, 8:07 AM   #1

My Dad is going to Japan soon, should I ask him to get me a Pentax Digital SLR from there? Would it be much cheaper and how about warranties (want to get an Ipod too...)

Mark

greenphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2006, 9:37 AM   #2

greenphotos wrote:
Quote:
My Dad is going to Japan soon, should I ask him to get me a Pentax Digital SLR from there? Would it be much cheaper and how about warranties (want to get an Ipod too...)
As far as prices go, it depends on where you are now living and the prices available there, obviously. A lot of things are more expensive in Japan than abroad, but it depends on the item. One of the major discount camera shops in Japan is Yodobashi, and their current page for Pentax dSLRs can be seen here:

IST DL2:
http://www.yodobashi.com/enjoy/more/.../49933607.html

IST DS:
http://www.yodobashi.com/enjoy/more/.../25813789.html

IST DS2:
http://www.yodobashi.com/enjoy/more/.../42633233.html

These pages are in Japanese, but you can see the basic prices listed. You can get 13% in points to be used on other purchases (memory cards, etc.), so to find out the final price of the camera in US dollars, multiply by .87 and then divide by 117 (the current yen exchange rate). Check that against the prices where you live. The warranty is also important, but I don't know anything about those; you should get your dad to ask the salesman at the store (at Yodobashi they have sales people who can speak basic English).

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 10:34 AM   #3
E.T

Continental wide warranty seems to be norm with every bigger maker.
So you might not get camera bought from other continent serviced.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 4:39 PM   #4

Thanks all, I'm in the UK so will convert the prices to £.

Good links- and good prices.

Do I really need a warrenty - are the cameras really going to break that easily?
greenphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 9:27 AM   #5

As long as you buy from an authorized dealer and its not grey market, you should be OK. I have read numerous post from people that have bought in one country and had it fixed in their home country. Its grey market they have more of an issue with.
Thaipo Negative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 9:50 AM   #6
E.T

Thaipo Negative wrote:
Quote:
As long as you buy from an authorized dealer and its not grey market, you should be OK. I have read numerous post from people that have bought in one country and had it fixed in their home country. Its grey market they have more of an issue with.
But what prevents them saying camera as grey market import if it's other continent's version?

Here's price comparison for central Europe
http://www.geizhals.at/eu/?cat=dcam
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 10:07 AM   #7

All cameras have serial numbers which are designated for specific countries. They go through the wholesaler for that country who gives them to the authorized dealers. So they can tell from the serial number and the receipt if the camera is grey market.
Thaipo Negative is offline   Reply With Quote