Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 12, 2003, 11:04 PM   #11

Frank....

really.....i hadnt thought about that

longer battery life is definelty important

looks like ill go for the IBM Travelstar 40GN model then (4200 rpm)

thanks for the info

robbaggio
robbaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2003, 3:19 PM   #12

I recently purchased a hard drive enclosure from: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...17%2D146%2D008

It works on either USB or firewire (laptop 4 pin too) The enclosure power supply drives the hard drive. You can pickup a hard drive to go with it and have a lot of GBs for storage (for under $200.) and what I like about it, also, is that you can move photos from lap top to your PC. I am using Win XP and it was a true plug and play deal for both the laptop and the PC. I was impressed with the quality of the unit too.

No I don't have stock in Newegg but was impressed with their quick service. The UPS man handed me the enclosure three days after I ordered it with no shipping charge.
flynez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2003, 5:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL

We're not talking about a stationary computer here like your PC or Laptop.
Hmmmm....."laptops are stationary"? I thought laptops were considered portable computers. I know I take mine everywhere, and it isn't confined to a desk like my desktop computer.
gmlasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2003, 5:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynez
I recently purchased a hard drive enclosure from: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...17%2D146%2D008

It works on either USB or firewire (laptop 4 pin too) The enclosure power supply drives the hard drive. You can pickup a hard drive to go with it and have a lot of GBs for storage (for under $200.) and what I like about it, also, is that you can move photos from lap top to your PC. I am using Win XP and it was a true plug and play deal for both the laptop and the PC. I was impressed with the quality of the unit too.

No I don't have stock in Newegg but was impressed with their quick service. The UPS man handed me the enclosure three days after I ordered it with no shipping charge.
I was going to recommend that. External Harddrive enclosures are really great. It can use spare harddrives that you may have lying around and use it as a portable harddrive to store anything.

Besides you, I'm surprised no one else mentioned it earlier. Here is one that sells for $34.00 and works pretty good. It also supports laptop harddrives as well. http://shop3.outpost.com/product/3516964
Old Apr 13, 2003, 5:41 PM   #15

Ever tried defragmenting/formatting a big hard drive on a USB port? Very slow! something to think about. Make sure you can recover the remote drive if it ever crashes i.e it still looks like a standard 32 bit fat structured drive you can install in your pc if you have to. I've got a parallel port backpack and recovery/defrag utilities like Norton, can put the drive in a worse state.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2003, 5:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Ever tried defragmenting/formatting a big hard drive on a USB port? Very slow! something to think about. Make sure you can recover the remote drive if it ever crashes i.e it still looks like a standard 32 bit fat structured drive you can install in your pc if you have to. I've got a parallel port backpack and recovery/defrag utilities like Norton, can put the drive in a worse state.
Are you referring to USB 1.1 or USB 2.0? The firewire approach is pretty fast.

It isn't really common to do frequent formatting with external harddrive enclosures. But, there is a way to format the harddrive if you feel the formatting is slow via USB. You can easily connect it to ide cable on your desktop and disconnect your primary harddrive while formatting to keep your primare HD safe. Format the external drive and your done. I don't really need to frequently reformatting the external harddrive. In general, most peeps just store files in the external harddrive and usually not install programs or any OS to run from it.
Old Apr 13, 2003, 8:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Besides you, I'm surprised no one else mentioned it earlier. Here is one that sells for $34.00 and works pretty good. It also supports laptop harddrives as well. http://shop3.outpost.com/product/3516964
I looked at these but, preferred a unit that would take a 3.5" drive and USB2.0 & IEEE1394. I had a 80GB hard drive that I was not using. A 2.5" HD seems to cost more than a 3.5" HD. $34. is a good deal though.
flynez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2003, 3:44 AM   #18

Hi,

Why defragment ?
When all the photo's are off the drive just format the drive, takes over USB1 app. 20 seconds under XP.

I use the XSDrive USB1.0 version with a 4200rpm 6GB HDD (still had that one).

ONE TIP !!!!
ALWAYS format your card in the camera, some external devices have big problem with fragmented pictures (so no deleting pics on your card to make sure).

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2003, 4:43 AM   #19

20 secs seems a bit quick, even scaled up to defrag/reformat a 40Gb hardrive?? I can't get that from my 7200 IBM running on IDE, let alone via a serial USB interface to a remote- or have I misunderstood something? I just thought, you don't mean a full format, just a quick tweak of the FAT table.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote