Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 10, 2003, 10:10 AM   #1

Default Suggestions on which Laptop HD to use in storage device?

I have decided to purchase a Nixvue DA Lite storage device to keep my pictures on during a 3 month trip this summer to Ireland and the UK.

I was wondering which laptop HD I should buy (30gb) to go in it (i.e. which is the most dependable). Currently I am leaning towards the IBM TravelStar 30GB...but not really for any particular reason. Any info on which brand has the best laptop HD (Hitachi, IBM, Fujitsu, Toshiba, etc). would be a great help.

Thanks

robbaggio
robbaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2003, 11:41 AM   #2

I am not sure that brand makes that much difference. You need to check the dimensons of the unit you going to install the hard drive. Some laptop hard drives are thicker than others.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2003, 11:43 AM   #3

Ok...thanks....i think im going to go for the IBM Travelstar 40GNX 40GB drive. Decided it was worth going for this since it has 5400rpm and 8MB buffer compared to the 40GNX which only has 4200rpm and 2MB buffer.

Thanks for the help

robbaggio
robbaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2003, 4:43 PM   #4

Just make sure you've got a newish laptop and its BIOS will take a big drive. Else its BIOS upgrade or OnTrack.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2003, 5:21 PM   #5
NHL

I wouldn't pay much attention to buffer size nor speed! Theses are battery power device and usually have a very slow interface anyway...ops:

What I would pay attention more to is the environmental specs like shock and vibration. Why would one downloads a microdrive to something which is less reliable, or a flash cards for that matter. :? :? :?

Quote:
Operating Non-Operating
Shock (half sine wave) 175 G (2 ms) 1500 G (1 ms)
Vibration (random [RMS]) 0.67 G (5 to 500 Hz) 3.01G (5 to 500 Hz)
Vibration (swept sine) 1 G 0-peak (5 to 500 Hz 5G 0-peak (10 to 500 Hz)
http://www.hgst.com/hdd/micro/datasheet.htm
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2003, 5:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
What I would pay attention more to is the environmental specs like shock and vibration. Why would one downloads a microdrive to something which is less reliable, or a flash cards for that matter. :? :? :?
LESS RELIABLE???

I don't know how many times I've heard of people who have lost all the pictures on their cards (three times this week alone)...as for how many times I've lost pictures from my hard drive...none.

Also, there's the cost of (for example) 78 128meg cards vs. the cost of one 10gig drive and this storage device.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2003, 7:40 PM   #7

Default storage for pics

Just as long as you treat the device like you would any other laptop, it really shouldn't matter.
macleod76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2003, 4:24 AM   #8

Although I admit, I also use a laptop as an image sink, you have got yet more battery management to consider.

If you don't use it regularly for work, their batts always seem to self discharge like everything else. I put a 40Gb drive in an old laptop with a 6Gb BIOS limit. Even with limited memory and more HD caching (which is why laptop drives tend to get a hammering and might be less reliable). I thought the new drive was faster.

BUT I'd still move pic. files off the laptop to burn to CD as soon as possible, I use a pcmcia Ethernet link.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2003, 9:08 AM   #9
NHL

Folks

The poster is talking about a portable device, which is likely to be dropped, bang, and throw into a backpack!
http://www.nixvue.com/news/dahdo-press.html

We're not talking about a stationary computer here like your PC or Laptop. There's temperature, moisture, and yes even height to consider here... which is what a microdrive is designed for BTW(ie a drop from 5ft) let see if anyone can drop any cheapo hardisk and see if it's still working! Some laptops (or hardisks) are actually ruggedized for this purpose, but not all ops:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2003, 4:42 AM   #10

Hi,

Use the lowest RPM HDD you can get, all 2,5" HDD's have a transport mode in which the heads are locked into position so dropping etc. should be no problem.

The lowest possible RPM for the following reasons:
The speed is totally unimportant, it will NEVER be too slow compared to your cards.
Battery life, very important, a 4200rpm drive takes a lot less of your battery.
Price.

Hope this helps a bit.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote