Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 6, 2006, 7:39 AM   #11
Administrator

hercules wrote:
Quote:
What i really mean is i have four pictures that i want to print at 4x6 so i select A4 paper then canon photo pro, and then i select 4x6 and those 4 images are printed on the paper i tried this last night and all four were nicely on the paper without resizing or trimming thats what i was wondering about my printer if it scales the images itself, because i read that if you take a picture with the 9 mp camera they say don't even try to print at 4x6 without resizing this is where i'm confused..
Part of the images are being cut off. If you don't crop, the software is going to crop for you (the image will be centered for the print size, cutting off part of two edges).

The dimensions of your images do not match up to any "standard" print size (4x6, 5x7, 8x10, 11x14). Either you crop them, or the software is going to crop them for you (which can lead to something important being cut off if you didn't have enough room at the edges).

This has nothing to do with your camera outputting a 9 Megapixel image. If it were a 1.3 Megapixel Digicam, it would still need to crop, unless the aspect ratio of the image was right for the print size. The print drivers will resample the images if the resolution or too small or two great for a good match. But, this doesn't have anything to do with the dimensions of an image.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:24 AM   #12

Thanks JimC now i get it..
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:28 AM   #13

I just have one more question, on a 4x6 print should you use the highest quality print or just the standard quality print. Thanks.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:32 AM   #14
Administrator

That's up to you. The highest quality uses the most ink, so it costs more. But, you may be satisfied with a lower quality image. Try it and see.

I did some prints both ways when I had an IP4000, and I tended to stick with higher quality for the most part (lower quality modes resulted in lighter images with it).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote