Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 5, 2006, 4:43 PM   #1

Ok i have a question, let's say you take a picture with a 7 or 9 megapixal camera and you want to print that picture at 4x6 do you have to scale the image or does the printer do it for you, i just bought the canon Pixma ip4200 that'sa very good printer but i heard that when you want to print a 4x6 you have to resize your image is this true... Thanks.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2006, 5:38 PM   #2

One part of the answer depends on the aspect ratio that your camera uses to record a picture. Most, if not all non-DSLR's shoot in a 4:3 aspect ratio (the relationship between image hight and width) which is almost square, and DSLR's record in a 3:2 aspect ratio, which is more rectangular like a standard 35mm film frame.
If you want a 4x6 print, this is a 3:2 aspect ratio. So, if your camera shoots in 4:3, you will have to either crop the photo to get the 3:2 relationship (methods vary with editing software) or, if your printer will crop a 4:3 image to a 3:2 if instructed to print a picture size that demands it, it will cut off whatever it wants -- and it might not be what you want cut off.

Does your printer crop like this? I don't know. Your users guide should explain it. But, some kind of manipulation has to be done to print a 4:3 image in a 3:2 AR.

You can size a 4:3 image in editing software small enough to completely fit in a 4x6 inch print and put a white border around it to fill up the left over space so that no part of the actual picture gets cut out.

The second part of the answer depends on your printer's interpolation software. Seven to nine megapixels is waaay overkill for a 4x6 print. Your printer might downsize the resolution itself to a value you specify. Again, your users manual should talk about this.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 5:50 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, i have a Fuji S9500, and i checked the printers book and it just say's what size of print 4x6 5x7 and so on.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 6:03 PM   #4
Administrator

If you use the Canon Easy-PhotoPrint software to print with, you'll see a menu choice called Trimming under the Layout Tab after you select the photos you want printed.

This allows you to move a crop box around each photo so that you have the desired portion of the image printed for a given print size, without the need to crop them for the correct aspect ratio in advance.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 6:34 PM   #5

Thanks JimC, Ok i went to canon easy print and after i selected my pictures and then the paper size i went to step 3 andhit trimming where do i put those lines for a 4x6 picture. Thanks.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 6:45 PM   #6
Administrator

Anywhere you want.

You'll see that part of the photo will be cut off, depending on where you position the box (because the original ratio of width to height doesn't match up correctly for a 4x6" print, or most other standard sizes either).

The crop box you see is divided into grids to represent the rule of thirds for composition purposes to help you decide where your subject is likely to look best.

You can also resize the box as desired (smaller or larger), while still maintaining the correct aspect ratio for the selected print size.

Old Apr 5, 2006, 6:55 PM   #7

Ah Ok i get it. but lets say i didn't use trimming and decided to print just selecting A4 paper size then 4x6 will the ip4200 resize or should i say scale the image itself because i have pictures i took with the 9500 at 9 megapixal sorry for the confusion..
Old Apr 5, 2006, 7:22 PM   #8
Administrator

I'm not sure I understand the question.

The size of the trim box will change to represent the size you want to print at (the actual print size if you have multiple photos on a page).

I see where you can select A4 under paper (if you have A4 paper), then select "full" on the next page if that's what you mean.

In that case, the crop box would probably change to the dimensions of A4 paper (as it changes if you select 4x6, 5x7 or 8x10 inch print sizes. But, you'd need to test it to see.

I haven't used the software that much as it only works with Canon printers. It came with an IP4000 I got a while back. But, when the printer broke on me, I never bothered to get it fixed (I replaced it with an HP since HP offers Linux drivers and I'm dual boot with XP and Linux).

Old Apr 5, 2006, 8:26 PM   #9
Baz

Hercules, I did not understand your question either. Maybe you have not quite understood Jim C's advice regarding Easy PhotoPrint with your Canon printer.

It is an excellent printing program. I also have the Fuji S9500, and I rarely mess with any resizing or cropping before printing. The EPP program does it all.

The aspect ratio problem of printing 6 x 4 has already been explained by Grant.

I always use the "Trimming" option. The crop box you see will be the exact aspect ratio of the paper size YOU first choose. There is no point in selecting A4 first then 6x4.

As Jim explained with trimming YOU can select the parts of the image that you want, and also change the size of the box, to crop just a smaller part of the image. All these selections do not alter the original image, just the printer result.

There are also many other options, such as multiple images per page, paper types, and bordered or borderless.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 6:04 AM   #10

What i really mean is i have four pictures that i want to print at 4x6 so i select A4 paper then canon photo pro, and then i select 4x6 and those 4 images are printed on the paper i tried this last night and all four were nicely on the paper without resizing or trimming thats what i was wondering about my printer if it scales the images itself, because i read that if you take a picture with the 9 mp camera they say don't even try to print at 4x6 without resizing this is where i'm confused..