Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 8, 2007, 1:41 PM   #11

So Exifer just adds the date/time but does not alter the photo quality? Would it degrade the photo but compressing it? I want to add it to JPEG format files but I heard that editing and resaving will degrade it. Do you need to save it in TIFF format?
I am rather happy with my user friendly photo editor, for now. My old man, nostalgic as he is, wants the unsightly date on his pictures.
If anyone knows of a program that add the date in a more artistic fashion I would appreciate the name of that program.
istok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 1:57 AM   #12

Quote:
If anyone knows of a program that add the date in a more artistic fashion I would appreciate the name of that program.
The freeware Irfanview will add the date in any font and color without a box around it. You can also add other information and do it in bulk. And you can put it anywhere on the print. Any good image editor will let you do all kinds of transformations, shadow effects etc for anything you want on a photo. But Photoshop won't fetch the EXIF date to bulk print like Irfanview will.
Quote:
Would it degrade the photo but compressing it? I want to add it to JPEG format files but I heard that editing and resaving will degrade it.
The resaving in JPG deterioration is a little overstated. Someone posted once that his camera JPG was of such a high quality that he could save it twenty times at best quality JPG in Photoshop and he would not see any deterioration. I guessed he probably hit "Save' twenty times, which is actually just one save. So I went through the process of saving, closing the image, opening the saved image and saving again for twenty cycles. I could not see the difference between the original and the twentieth quality 12 save from Photoshop. And yes I did look under some magnification.
If you save at best quality JPG there isn't much deterioration. I still save images I've modified in Photoshop in PSD format and others in TIFF. But there isn't much of a hit saving at best quality JPG. 100% in Irfanview is pretty close to Photoshop's quality 12. I'm not familiar with the options in Exifer.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 10:59 AM   #13

slipe wrote:
Quote:
So I went through the process of saving, closing the image, opening the saved image and saving again for twenty cycles. I could not see the difference between the original and the twentieth quality 12 save from Photoshop. And yes I did look under some magnification.
If you save at best quality JPG there isn't much deterioration. I still save images I've modified in Photoshop in PSD format and others in TIFF. But there isn't much of a hit saving at best quality JPG. 100% in Irfanview is pretty close to Photoshop's quality 12. I'm not familiar with the options in Exifer.

Did you modify anything before each save?

istok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:34 PM   #14

istok wrote:
Quote:
slipe wrote:
Quote:
So I went through the process of saving, closing the image, opening the saved image and saving again for twenty cycles. I could not see the difference between the original and the twentieth quality 12 save from Photoshop. And yes I did look under some magnification.

Did you modify anything before each save?
Good question. Each successive save I know I used "Save as", used a different file name and got the box to ask what quality I wanted to save in. I think in that case it will recompress the image to the chosen quality regardless of modifications.

I ran it again for ten cycles adding a number to each photo in succession. I blew an eye up to 350% and I'll be darned if I see any difference. Try it yourself.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote