Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 8, 2006, 9:20 AM   #1

Hello, I'm afraid I'm not very literate on cameras. I have a Casio Exilim EX-Z55 and I would like to have the date printed on my pictures but can't seem to set the camera to do this. Can anybody help me? Thank you so much.

Sandy

I am also not sure how to use this post. In case I can not get back here or find out if there are any answers, my e-mail is [email protected]]

SassyTxWm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2006, 10:34 AM   #2
Administrator

I looked through your cameras's review here, and didn't see a function to date stamp photos. Some cameras have this feature and some camera's don't.

I personally think that date stamps can ruin photos (my opinion anyway, since the date stamp can be pretty unsightly, especially if the color of the stamp happens to clash with the image you take). Everytime I see someone post a photo here with one, I cringe (but, that's probably just me). ;-)

But, you can get software to print a date/time stamp on a photo, if you really have a need for it.

The settings a camera used to take a photo are included inthe EXIF (a header that is part of your images).This header includes the date and time an image was taken. You can get free software that can read the date the photo was taken, and stamp your images with the date if desired.

One example of a free utility isExifer for Windows (it's watermark feature can read the date information, and place it on the photos in batch mode). There are more programsthat can do this, too.

Using this technique (instead of a camera's date stamp feature), insures that you always have originals without the date stamp (since it can be unsightly). Simplywork with copies of your originals so you'll have versions with and without a date stamp.

Some printing software can also place the date on a photo when printing (reading it from the header in the image file). Even the free software Canon includes with some of it's newer Pixma printers has this feature (and some third party printing software like QImage Pro can also do this, with nodate stampfeature in the camera needed).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 11:36 AM   #3

Thank you so much! I wanted to print the date on my pictures while I am overseas, showing the different seasons etc. I will try the software on my computer to do this. Again, thank you so much for responding!

Sandy
SassyTxWm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 12:37 PM   #4

I have read my newly purchased Panasonic FX8 will have the same issue. Our family photo's need the date on the front cause we put them in a scrap book. Will http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/(QImage Pro) orhttp://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/ (Exifer for Windows) work with my panny? I typically take 50+ at a family event or (over a couple ofweeks) and then download to PC & then clean up red eye & delete bad pics, etc. Then send to Snapfish ($0.12/photo). They claim no ability to retrieve the imbedded DPOF info (and DCF). I have also read about http://www.visualmediasoftware.com/buynow.htm($19) at http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ead.php?t=7540(Date imprinting using DPOF). Any help would be appreciated. I would return the FX8 if there were a comparible compact. The other thing we 'old timers' will miss which is not on the FX8 is the view finder, which is easier to use in fast action (I think).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

p.s. Our Yashica T4's have given us about a decade of good photo's, and will be hard to put to rest. We bought our third in '03...
iberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 12:53 PM   #5

I am sure Exifer will work fine , its free so why not try it?

And I think Qimage has a demo so you could see if you want to spend the money.

Never heard of Visual Media Explorer, what exactly do you need it to do ?

There are many fine free basic photo editors and image viewers out there (irfanview, Picasa, Faststone, The Gimp, older versions of Serif Photoplus etc ) so only buy what you need.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 1:00 PM   #6
Administrator

iberg wrote:
Quote:
I have read my newly purchased Panasonic FX8 will have the same issue. Our family photo's need the date on the front cause we put them in a scrap book. Will http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/ (QImage Pro) orhttp://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/ (Exifer for Windows) work with my panny?
I'd just use EXIFER if you're sending them somewhere else to be printed (and it's free).

You can specify the desired font, size, foreground and background color, and approximate position of the date/tiime stamp (as well as some formatting options like 2 or 4 digits for the year) for selected photos.

You can also save these settings for future use, once you decide on what you prefer for formatting. When you select the desired variables, it even shows you an example of how it will look in the images (and you can select more than one image and/or use it in batch mode).

Download it and give it a try. It's free. ;-)

Attached Images

Old Jul 28, 2006, 1:02 PM   #7
Administrator

A quick example (small font used) from one of our FX9 sample images (using the settings in the screen I just posted from EXIFER). I used a 2 digit month and day, followed by a 4 digit year. I also put slashes between them. You could arrange it another way if desired.

Attached Images

Old Jul 28, 2006, 3:00 PM   #8

Dynomite!!

Thanks guys
iberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 7:11 PM   #9

I like the idea of the date time not being permanent on the original. The reason that I need them on the photo is that they are proof for people parking illegally at my condo complex. It parking fine is $100. It is easier than towing and more profitable. Do anyone know of a similar Mac application.thanks,whg2000PS. This is a great forum ty for your work
whg2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 7:25 PM   #10
Administrator

whg2000 wrote:
Quote:
I like the idea of the date time not being permanent on the original.� The reason that I need them on the photo is that they are proof for people parking illegally at my condo complex.� It parking fine is $100. It is easier than towing and more profitable. � �Do anyone know of a similar Mac application.thanks,whg2000PS.� This is a great forum ty for your work
What makes you think that it's "proof"?

You can modify the data in an image. If someone tried to fine me based on a photograph, I'd probably contest it, with examples of how easy it is to modify one.

Changing a date/time stamp would be the easy part. Just Google for EXIF editor for examples.

Even if you did have a way to insure that the date/time stamp was accurate, the image itself could be doctored (and the same thing would apply to film).

There are a couple of solutions designed for law enforcement (combination of camera firmware and software) that validates the image's integrity.

One example is from Nikon. Nikon recently announced optional Image Authentication Software for the D2x

http://www.nikonimaging.com/global/n...06/0601_03.htm

Epson also offered a similar solution for some of it's older digital cameras (known as the Epson Image Authentication System).

But, that still wouldn't guarantee that the camera's date/time was set correctly to begin with.