Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 9, 2006, 8:59 PM   #1

I'm curious as to if media card readers for compact flash cards (which plug into a USB 2.0 slot) transfer data from the card faster to your computer than simply transferring the picture to your computer from your camera via a USB 2.0 cable?
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2006, 9:16 PM   #2
Administrator

As a general rule, you'll get faster transfer speeds via a USB 2.0 Card Reader. But, the speed of a camera's interface to media will vary by model (so some will be faster compared to others).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 9:56 PM   #3

Justin Hancock wrote:
Quote:
I'm curious as to if media card readers for compact flash cards (which plug into a USB 2.0 slot) transfer data from the card faster to your computer than simply transferring the picture to your computer from your camera via a USB 2.0 cable?
As Jim notes, it depends on the camera, but in my case, most definitely yes. Also, note that built-in media card slots are slower than a USB cable reader. I posted this note before, but I used to use two built-in card slots on my Dell, until I got a 2GB CF card (Sandisk Extreme III) and found it was taking 29 minutes to download a single card. So I recently bought a USB reader and the time dropped to 3'10".

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote