Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 11, 2006, 9:50 AM   #11
Administrator

It is difficult to answer for sure, probably film is simply the requirement for the course as is the darkroom time. Look around, there are bound to be some all-digital photo courses being taught nowadays.

However ... you still learn to fly in a tinyCessna even if you are planning to fly jumbo jets and Indy race car drivers started driving gocarts andquarter midgets ... basics are basics After spending several hours in the dark smelling noxious chemicals you will really appreciate your time in Photoshop
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 9:52 AM   #12

the 'wet work' is an exercise in discipline

it will force you to shoot carefully with ADVANCE THOUGHT

Ansel Adams used to back-pack to a site carrying ONE sheet of film !!
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:00 AM   #13

True, bernabeu, and Anselalso said "You don't take a photograph, you make it" as well as "Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." Personally, I now strongly prefer CS2 to chemicals and the darkroom. Don't bother with them if you do not have the call!
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:51 AM   #14

Whow, Thanks a lot for all of your help. After reading all of these posts I am now sure I am in the wrong class. I really took the class to learn studio lighting and to become a better photographer.But, as someone said to get the credentials you must learn the chemical processes. I love photography and creativity I just hate spending so much time in dark rooms andthe smell of chemicals. Plus, I am too impatient I like seeing what I shot immediately, so film processing does not fit with my personallity.

I love being able to make a photo BW one day or change it to color or sepia if I don't like it later. If someone points out something distracting in a photoI didn't notice I will change it then reprint. In this way my photos evolve into Art. There doesn't seem to be in college classesthat teach puredigital photography. Even the Academy or Art requires you learn 4x5, view cameras, and dark room process. This is probably good for someone who does photography for a living. I am just an advanced ameteur who makes a little money on the side every now and then.

It really bothers me though when people think if you have never shot film you don't understand photography or how to use your camera. Shift lenses work in the same way as a view camera to straighten veritical lines and can be used on a digital body.

PS

shot this with Canon 7ne with c-41 process film. I will probably continue to use film camera to capture BW but I definaely won't process myself.

Again thanks for all of your help. I will take this thread to class with me to share with my instructor.

Attached Images

minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 9:40 PM   #15

I don't miss film at all.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 1:01 PM   #16

Quote:
I don't miss film at all.

Do you notice a difference in quality between Digital and Film? I am being told film scans still yield better highlights and resolution than Digital. Is this accurate?

Old Apr 14, 2006, 3:41 AM   #17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Do you notice a difference in quality between Digital and Film? I am being told film scans still yield better highlights and resolution than Digital. Is this accurate?
There have been a million web pages written on the subject.

Even if true, and that would depend on using very fine grained film and a very good scanner, that still doesn't mean overall perceived image quality is higher. Grain is a very important factor, and digital is way ahead in that regard.

At any rate it really doesn't matter because you still don't need to learn any darkroom work if you're scanning your negatives, are they teaching you how to do proper scanning?

The rough consensus seems to be that:

1. 35mm film (at the pro level of film stock and processing) and the 6-10Mp DSLRs are pretty much equivalent in Image Quality. *
2. MF film and the 13-22Mp DSLRs/DMF are roughly equivalent in IQ.
3. 4"x5" film and the new 40Mp DMF are roughly equivalent in IQ.

And here's the thing, equivalence in IQ means that digital wins the race by a mile because it has so many other advantages.

*Compared to consumer-grade processing and film stock the DSLRs are miles ahead, and that's what most of us used to use. So in my personal experience the quality I get from my 20D is far far better than I used to get from film. I used to buy Kodak Gold film, usually ISO200 or 400 and get it processed at a commercial lab. My prints from that combo were very noticably worse than the quality I can get from my 20D, Photoshop and my Epson R800 printer.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 6:06 AM   #18

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
Ansel Adams used to back-pack to a site carrying ONE sheet of film !!
Egad. The thought makes me ache all over. If, on some of my hikes I had only a single shot, I would probably go insane, second guessing where I should have used it. Ansel is probably the most quoted photographer ever. I know I've dredged up a quote or two to serve my arguments from time to time. If we were all blessed with his talent maybe we could do with a single shot, but I couldn't concieve the notion of me with my megapixel camera scrambling up and down wide eyed in exhaustion looking for the scene to shoot that shot. No, my talent must be served with the endless opportunities digital offers, to even exist. My imagination always seems to be better than my actual shots, so it truly serves a purpose to be able to call upon an unlimited reserve to shoot with.:!:

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 9:31 PM   #19

Hey "60" seconds,

Does the school that your attending also teach typewriter repair? Someone told me that theres a shortage for said repair men.

I turned my Beseler 67S Dichro color enlarger, which I bought back in the latter `70`s,into a reading lamp a few years ago.

I think that your school really needs to update it`sprogram!

John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 10:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Hey "60" seconds,
Hey I like that reminds me of 50 cents.

At this point we have not learned about scanning negatives because the class is more about using the lab to develope and print film. I just wanted to know from others if I were missing something it not learning this wet process. I really don't see how this process is teaching me to take better digital photos.

If I were going to get into film I would be more interested in 4x5 or MF for IQ. But, I have decided my next camera will be the Canon 5D at 12MP Full Frame. I will probably not use film again after this class unless there are speacial circumstances that require it.

I think knowing the film processes are good if only for conversation.

Thanks