Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 13, 2003, 1:29 PM   #1

Default If you were choosing...

If you were choosing your next digital camera as an Enthusiast/Long Shot (telephoto)/Macro/astrophotography useage camera (and you could choose only one), which would it be from the following:

Fuji s602 Zoom; Olympus C-4000; Nikon CoolPix 4500; or Olympus C-4040...and why?

Thanks.

Owl
Owlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2003, 7:27 AM   #2

I'd choose the Nikon CP 4500 because it has a good Macro facility (down to about 0.8 inches) and I've found it works well with telescopes (although to be honest the current telescope use has been terestial).
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2003, 10:07 AM   #3

The biggest problem I have in going with the CP 4500 is that it feels *small* in my hands...and I don't have big hands.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 11:33 AM   #4

The 602 for the bigger zoom.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2003, 9:36 PM   #5

I read somewhere online today that the Fuji doesn't have the 'lock' feature to avoid accidentally deleting photos. Is this true?
Old Apr 15, 2003, 2:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlz
I read somewhere online today that the Fuji doesn't have the 'lock' feature to avoid accidentally deleting photos. Is this true?
Yes, it is. The only way to remove unwanted images is to delete frame by frame, otherwise all images are removed.
ulik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2003, 7:49 AM   #7

Actually, my concern is just that...*accidentally* deleting/losing photos because there's no lock feature. Thanks for confirming this.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 11:38 AM   #8

In general, it isn't a good idea to delete photos as you shoot. Trying to decide which one to delete while squinting at a little LCD is difficult and distracting while you are shooting. Get a lot of memory so you can wait to decide while looking at your photos on a large screen.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2003, 12:04 PM   #9

Of those cameras, only the CP4500 really satisfies all conditions you've stipulated.

The S602Z is a great camera - I have it, along with the CP4500 and numerous others. Unfortunately the S602Z is not going to be a good long range telephoto candidate. Neither are the Olympus models. The little Nikons are excellent digiscoping candidates, being able to "see" through the lenses of nearly any decent telephoto lens or telescope with zero vignetting.

Their macro capabilities are second to none and they are, as I mentioned above, the "best" candidates for digiscoping, period... If you seriously want to satisfy your list of requirements, only the CP4500 of those you've mentioned will do it all.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2003, 2:06 PM   #10

Thanks, Bill. However, what I mean is this: On my current digicam, an Olympus D-360L, there's a button on the top (third from the left) which, when pressed after I take a picture, 'locks' that picture on the SmartMedia card, thus preventing any accidental deletion.