Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 14, 2003, 11:22 AM   #1

Default HELP w/ buying DIg-Cam

Hi guys!!
I am new to this website, and forum. I have been a avid 35mm SLR user for a long long time. I guess I wanted to wait for some time before investing money into a dig-cam, because I wanted the technology to be good before I put any money into it.

I wanted to buy a dig-cam that has around 4-5mp resolution. According to reviews, Canon seems to be on the top. So i looked at S400 - S45 - S50. The 2 main things im lookin for in buying a dig-cam is size/resolution (ofcourse quality of pictures is definitly top priority!! :lol: ) .

Any ideas on other cameras that are worth taking a look at? And also what do you think of those 3 cameras and what should I go with :?: :?:

Thnx for your time.
cypherkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2003, 11:17 PM   #2

What will you use the camera for? If its just no fuss point and shoot, the s400 should fit the bill perfectly, but if you want tons of manual controls as well, I'd get the s50. Also, how big do you want your pics and how much cropping do you want to do? If you only want 8x10s and don't plan on cropping, then you may want to look at the s30 or the s230. It all depends on what you want to use the cam for and what you want to pay.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2003, 6:43 AM   #3

ardvark50,

I think that the fact that s50 has more controls and options I would be willing to spend the extra money to get it.
About (s230) (s30) -- even though im just a amatuer photographer, i think that that 3mp resolution is kinda low. My friend actualy has the s230, but I decided to go with the higher resolution. Not too sure about how much cropping I would be doing, but guess it comes down to the picture I take, and what I want the end result to be.

So you think that Canon is the best way to go for digital cameras??

Thnx for reply.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 12:02 AM   #4

For compact cameras, in my opinion canon is the best way to go hands down. Also, in my opinion, the s400, s45 and s50 are at the top of their respective class. When you get into the larger cameras, such as g3, oly c5050, nikon 5700 and minolta 7hi, then there is some debate. I'd suggest you go with the s45 or s50. You may want to ask people who tried both of these cameras on which you should get though, as some have complained the s50's image quality isn't as good as the s45, while others love the camera. Also, if you go to http://electronics.cnet.com/electron...ameras.1429209 in the news box, there is a link to sample images from these cameras in a side by side comparison.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 11:11 AM   #5

Default thnx

thnx man,

I am going to china town (in NYC), to a place my friend knows, they sell cameras for very good prices. I will look at both the s45 and s50, and see which deal i get is better!! Thnx for the input ..
Old Apr 17, 2003, 1:45 PM   #6

No problem. Just go out there and enjoy your camera (as soon as you get it anyway)!