Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 16, 2006, 4:24 PM   #1

I notice that the forums are broken up by brands but I was wondering if a section where they were broken up by class as well would be helpful.

My interest is in small cameras right now and am not just looking for information for just me but for many people.

It is my guess that as the camera gets smaller you give up something, maybe fewer functions or harder to hold or manipulate, as the camera gets a little bigger it becomes easier to manipulate and can have more features but becomes less portable. If my assumption is correct, there is no right answer in general but how important size vsfunction is.

If there was an easy way to talk about cameras within class head to head, maybe some choices would be easier to make.

I think the Casios are the smallest but I could be wrong, I have been told that the high mega pixel counts are not a good thing on these and again I don't know.

I wonder how the best of camera phones compare to some ultra compact cameras.

I do have a camera story to go along with this to.

I was in a cave yesterday and planned on taking some pictures. We had to belly crawl 600 feet in a passage were from time to time we would be touching the floor and ceiling at the same time. The room opened up after the crawl but the camera did not do so well on this trip. I was carrying a panasonic compact on this trip, I transfered the camera to my back pocket since I was belly crawling with it and thought it would not survive my jacket pocket. Well while crawling over rocks in the tight passage the camera while in the back pocket would make contact with the ceiling though protected by pocket material. When I arrived, I found the apeture had taken a beating and would no longer open up all the way.

With a round up, within class, we could examine all the cameras and maybe pick the one that best fits our needs. Maybe I would have picked a different camera for cave crawling with. If the camera would have been flatter, it might have had fewer impacts, or if it was tougher, it might have survived those impacts.

In the end,I want to selecta camera when I will belivingout of a backback 2 weeks at a time. I will also want a camera to go intotight rocky places in unmapped caves, then I want a camera to carry with me all the other times. A system of cameras so I will always have one with me no matter what I am doing. I already have the larger camera for general use.

EDCForums: For those who carry to much gear

JonSidneyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2006, 5:29 PM   #2
E.T

Classifying cameras by their features would be surely usefull for those selecting camera, but then for finding usage hints and solutions to problems is much easier when forums are according to brands.

Also classifying to different classes would be hard because makers are such fond to abusing terms and would want to make sure that class divisions would be like line drawn to water... and that PR BS really works too well.

JonSidneyB wrote:
Quote:
It is my guess that as the camera gets smaller you give up something, maybe fewer functions or harder to hold or manipulate, as the camera gets a little bigger it becomes easier to manipulate and can have more features but becomes less portable.
Also smaller cameras generally have weaker flash and such... in caves that could also affect much.

These might be some of the better options because they shoudl be generally more durable:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/cameras_wr.html
But I would definitely prefer camera with small LCD, those big loudly touted LCDs would be good scratch magnets.

JonSidneyB wrote:
Quote:
We had to belly crawl 600 feet in a passage were from time to time we would be touching the floor and ceiling at the same time.
Now why I'm starting to wonder how military might have missed such great training place? :crazy:
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 5:50 PM   #3

This is one of the easier parts of the crawl area. This runs 600ft and varies in difficulty as you move. There are very few spots where you can actually walk on your hands and knees. Most of it is crawling. The poor Panasonic that was in the backpocket never had a chance. I think one of the people had a Canon that made it. I wonder if a flat Casio would have prevented a smaller target, and if its steel case would have helped it any.

One think, just because a camera survives one trip, does not mean it survives the next trip.

EDCForums: For those who carry to much gear

JonSidneyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 8:26 AM   #4
E.T

That reminds times when I've had to go through slide door whose bottom-edge has frozen to ground with door very little open... except that with safety helmet I wouldn't fit through.

Keeping camera in side pocket would be better when extra vertical space is scarce... at least until rolling sideways.
Without that most protected place would be really side pocket... when crawling everything on underside pockets gets crushed very effectively, and that back pocket is as easy to batter to ceiling as head.

Internal folded optics would be definitely preferable over normal extending lens because it enables making more sturdier camera much more easily... While lens would retract to level with rest of camera's front surface that leaves always weak point.

Also "lens cover" which consists from plate moving on camera's front side and totally covering lens might be good feature, I would keep that stronger than these automatically side moving small lens covers.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...dimagex50.html
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 1:44 AM   #5

This isn't really what you were asking for, but http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp is a handy "wizard" to help you choose a camera from the huge number of offerings. You answer several questions about what features you want and it displays what cameras meet your criteria.

Yes, you certainly do give up some features with smaller cameras. Many have only an LCD but no viewfinder. Most lack full manual control. Many resort to using proprietary (read expensive and often hard to find) Li-Ion batteries to achieve their small size. And you almost always have more image noise with smaller cameras. But, if it's a choice between getting a picture that's maybe a bit noiser than you would like, or no picture at all because you can't lug a larger camera with you, or can't afford to damage a good camera... The Olympus Stylus 720 SW http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...p?product=1225 looks like it might be well suited f
or your particular needs. I have no personal experience with that model, nor any affiliation with Olympus.
DaveLundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 3:03 PM   #6

JonSidneyB.

Check this out:http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...p?product=1225

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote