Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 15, 2003, 12:10 PM   #1

Default Panasonic FZ1

I was disapointed to find out this cam is a P+S, what an opportunity Panasonic have missed to replace the UZI.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2003, 1:37 PM   #2

Default I agree

All of us would like to see the big zoom and IS together with a lot of other goodies, as except for this camera IS is all but dead on affordable cameras. But am I guessing in thinking that the sports setting on this camera would be for some kind of best shutter setting and the portrait setting for the best aperaterure?

Typically with my C-2100UZi I run the zoom all the way out and either pick my fastest shutter speed available or if it is cloudy or deep shade I use the FL40 flash with a wide open aperature.

The biggest disappointment for me on this camera is the lack of aux flash ability. It is alleged to be a "fast" camera and that's nice if you can get the light there.

but it is a new lens....perhaps better days are ahead?
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2003, 8:11 PM   #3
lg

...which is exactly why I suggested a "...wait and see" approach when it was announced, steve6! I, too, am disappointed that it doesn't contain the manual features to which we have all become accustomed. Normc, I totally missed the support of external flash on the camera! Thanks for pointing it out.

The one nice thing about the Panasonic compared to the C-2100 is that it is more compact for taking on vacation, and it does have a 20% longer zoom. The pictures I have seen from it seem very nice as well.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2003, 9:07 PM   #4

Default And now?

I have heard that you can screw your B-300 lens into this camera? Somethings all wrong? A twenty plus zoom "point and shoot" all in a plastic case? Try hand holding this and tracking a moving object? HELP!
Old Apr 21, 2003, 6:47 AM   #5

Quote:
I, too, am disappointed that it doesn't contain the manual features to which we have all become accustomed
Actually I'm gob-smacked, how much effort would it have needed to put a chip in it that allowed such things.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2003, 2:41 PM   #6

Default As a suggestion?

See my post in the Sony section on the Sony 717 1.7 telephoto lens. I am using this camera and lens with the full digital zoom to 17x and the quality is better that my Olympus C-2100UZI with the B-300 lens also at 17x. I am hand holding both cameras. Of course, I am comparing a 2.1 to 5 horse power camera but the result is what counts. Just maybe it is a good idea not to always push the limits on image stabilization cameras. Let them do what ever and if it is going to be point and shoot so be it.
Old Apr 22, 2003, 11:12 PM   #7
lg

Default Re: As a suggestion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by normc
See my post in the Sony section on the Sony 717 1.7 telephoto lens. I am using this camera and lens with the full digital zoom to 17x and the quality is better that my Olympus C-2100UZI with the B-300 lens also at 17x...
I just want to make sure you are not comparing apples to oranges here...For the Sony, 190x1.7=323mm; for the UZI, 380x1.7=646mm. Are you comparing the quality of a 323mm image to that of a 646mm image? If so, I would certainly expect that the 343mm image would be sharper! I am also confused by your use of the phrase "full digital zoom," so I would appreciate it if you would please clarify your post. Thanks!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2003, 7:17 AM   #8

Default OK

My logic: Sony 5x optical plus 2x digital = 10x plus another 1.7 = 17x zoom and it should be pointed out that the Sony digital zooms are processed with a different method than some others. In the view finders of both cameras the images are very similar in size. The sony is certainly NOT an image stabilization camera, but the weight and the holding of the camera by the lens makes this camera easy to hold on target with hand holding.

We are not getting higher MP cameras except in the expensive "pro" cameras. My comparison was meant to offer an option...maybe I am all wrong??
Old Apr 23, 2003, 9:56 AM   #9

Default More

Sorry I did not explain "full digital zoom". It means zoomed all the way out. The camera + lens also is 3 and 1/2 pounds which is not something that many would like to hand hold. Your camera strap and how you use it becomes important. I use a wide strap with a twist on my forearm similar to target shooting a rifle. I can then put the spot focus cross directly on the head of a bird or other small animal and use wide open aperatures. The centerline of the "hold" is also the centerline of the lens and near the center of gravity of the camera. With your arms close to your body the only movement of the spot focus is your own breathing. It is very similar to shooting a rifle. And NO, I am not advocating we all go out and get a brick to mount our cameras on for additional pounds, but image stabilization for higher MP cameras just is not here so I am looking for alternatives.

I really like my Olympus C-2100UZI and the B-300 1.7 lens...but I have often wondered if the add on lens depletes the stabilization engineering to some extent?