Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 16, 2003, 8:36 AM   #1

Default Looking for compact Zoom

Hola !

Ok I am starting to really shop around for a slightly newer camera. My Oly 600l has served me well but I need something a bit smaller with a lot more zoom.

I am kinda partical to the Oly cameras but I am not chained to them. I am look for some feed back on some of teh 10x Zoom camera that are avaiable. I dont need huge MP numbers, I need something that will go into a back pack thats not bulky ( thats where my 600 is wearing thin with me )

I was kinda looking at the 740/750 UZ but I was hoping to get some user general feed back.

I dont do a lot of manual control
I do do a lot of Pano's
Lots of outdoor shots
Fair ammount of indoor close up product shots ( good macro functions )
Would prefer at least 8x Optical Zoom
Low light focusing ( my biggest gripe with the 600l )

Mondo thanks for your feed back

-Robert
RobAGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2003, 9:24 AM   #2

Oly just doesn't get it when it comes to low light focusing and having an auto focus assist beams. Some Olys do have it like the C-5050 but that doesn't have the zoom you want. Oly does have a focus assist beam on its megabucks FL-40 flash, but you can't use that on the C-740.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2003, 11:18 AM   #3

If pixels aren't an issue then look at the Oly 730 and save yourself a few bob.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2003, 12:43 AM   #4

HUmm bummer about the fact they havent gotten thier stuff together on the Focusing issue. After the C-2500 was released you would think they would have the IR stuff as standard because that was the one area they took a beating on teh 600l.

I am still looking around, but I love the pics that come out of my 600l and the 620l and E-20 I have used. BUt this is kinda a back packing camera hence the need for the Zoom to catch critters with.

-Robert
Old Apr 18, 2003, 12:22 PM   #5

Steve - Well I looked teh prices for both the 730 and 740 and there isnt much of a cost differance between them.

One thing I didnt like too much was the xD picture card :/ I would rather use CF / SD / SM media as I have other devices that use those as well.....

and the hunt continues

-Robert
Old Apr 18, 2003, 9:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAGD
Steve - Well I looked teh prices for both the 730 and 740 and there isnt much of a cost differance between them.

One thing I didnt like too much was the xD picture card :/ I would rather use CF / SD / SM media as I have other devices that use those as well.....
SM is at the end of the line...the limit is 128megs. You could look at the 730 as it uses both xD and SM.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2003, 5:22 PM   #7
lg

If you don't need a lot of megapixels, I'd find a used/refurbished C-2100 on eBay if I were you. I don't believe you will find a better 10x or greater stabilized zoom or a sharper 2MP CCD on any camera on the market today. For 64MB Smartmedia, you can take 64 pics at SHQ or 128 at HQ (my preference), and I expect twice that with 128MB.

Oh, and BTW, Olympus did get it with this camera-- autofocus assist lamp, works great with FL-40 and a full complement of add-on lenses, runs on cheap AA's, and it comes with all the accessories Olympus saw fit to leave out or cheapen in some of their latest releases.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2003, 5:51 PM   #8

The Uzi isn't really compact... I love the same big 10X lens on my Canon Pro90. I guess "compact" is a relative term. While I love my camera, I do have to remember to bring it along with me. My old Canon A50 Zoom (remember that one?) fit neatly in my pocket. That old camera is still taking great pix of our grandson, thanks to our son.

My bro-in-law owns one of the smaller Oly 10X zoomers, but it lacks the stabilized lens of the Pro90 and the Uzi. Everything in life is a compromise.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2003, 8:45 PM   #9

I was looking at the 2100 but its just as big as my 600l. But seeing as Oly seems to have lost the way after the 2100 I may look into them a bit harder. I was kind hoping to get into a bit high rez camera than my Oly ( at 1.4Mp ) the 2.1 is bigger but not much so.

Thanks for teh input guys

-Robert
Old Apr 22, 2003, 10:25 PM   #10
lg

Whoops! Missed that tiny "compact" in the Subject line! Mea culpa, gentlemen! ops:
lg is offline   Reply With Quote