Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 21, 2006, 8:22 AM   #1

BroadwayPhoto (www.broadwayphoto.com) has the Canon 30D (body only) for $1159 (plus $50 for shipping/handling). This seems rather low compared to most vendors' price of around $1400. Has anyone ever done business with them? It's advertised as factory new with full warranty (and freebies thrown in). Site is here: http://www.bwayphoto.com/product.asp?id=cneos30d
Thanks.
jpistone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2006, 8:30 AM   #2
Administrator

They are one of the better known Brooklyn based stores that you hear stories about, doing business under more than one name (for some reason, the scammers seem to be able to get away with it in Brooklyn).

Also, watch out for vendors padding their own ratings. See the note at the top of this page:

"We detected and disabled 50+ fraudulent "Very Satisfied" reviews for this merchant. Due to the continuous submission of said reviews, we are no longer accepting new reviews for this store as of 1/19/2006."

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1995.html

Also, see their BBB report:

"Complaints to the Bureau indicate that this firm uses high pressures sales tactics after consumers place their orders. After ordering merchandise consumers report receiving a phone call from the firm's customer representatives attempting to sell additional items. Representatives allegedly try to persuade consumers to buy the U.S. warranty, as well as accessories like cables, peripherals, and software, or lead consumers to believe the product will not work if additional merchandise is not purchased. In some cases, if the consumers declined, an email was sent advising them to cancel their orders because the item was on back-order despite being listed as available on the firm's website. Consumers also reported unauthorized charges on their invoices. When trying to dispute such charges, consumers report difficulty talking to management, claiming they are verbally abused by the company's staff."

http://www.newyork.bbb.org/reports/b...1&id=68047

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 8:37 AM   #3

Thanks, JimC...they're off my Christmas Card list! What's surprising is that a company like Popular Photography would allow them to advertise in their publication.
jpistone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 8:47 AM   #4
Administrator

jpistone wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, JimC...they're off my Christmas Card list! What's surprising is that a company like Popular Photography would allow them to advertise in their publication.
See the section labeled The big ad in this article by Bryan Biggers:

How to Buy a Digital Camera without being Robbed

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 9:49 AM   #5

just read all the articles and its a shocking read !!!

i bought my olympus e300 from a big chain store here in england who had a special promotion on so price was good.

the most shocking thing i read on that sellers site was the price of a 1 gig card

Memory: 1 GB ultra high speed error free PRO compact flash memory card

Only: $599.99

i can get a compatable manufactured 1 gig compact flash for £16 +£3 shipping what comes to $30/$40 deepending on exchange rate

now that is downright criminal, as is the price for a card reader. £6 here or $10 or there about and they want $99 !!

OUCH mega mega rip off

Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote