Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 23, 2006, 9:48 PM   #1

My son is going to backpack western Europe for six weeks this summer. He'll be bringing along a Canon SD200 with a gig card. That should be enough for all his pictures; if not he can buy another card.

But....

I worry about the possibility of the camera getting ripped off or somehow lost in his travels. He's 18 and going alone, so he could be a target. I'm wondering if there are any good ideas for how he could transmit the images periodically to a web site or via email to me. The problem is he won't be running around with a laptop and broadband to upload. Sure, there will be internet cafes, but they usually have their usb ports disabled.

Are there any places in Europe, like we have Kinkos and photo stores in the US, that offer the service of uploading the images off the camera to the internet?

Or, any other ideas?

I don't really like the idea of bringing along a backup disk to offload the photos because that could be stolen as well.

Thanks!
mfleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2006, 1:10 AM   #2

What parts of Europe will he be traveling? If he is ever near Giebelstadt Germany, he can stop by and upload from my house.:-)

I've lived in Germany for 2 years and have traveled to many places (Going to Holland in about 2 hours). I've never had a problem with theft but I can understand your concern.

Although you don't want him to have a back-up due to the possibility of theft also, but a digtial wallett would be a good idea. If you aren't familiar with that, it's a small disk drive that you can download all the images to and it's about the size of, well, a wallett.

Another idea would be an extra memory card or two. He could then hide those on his person to keep them safe, ie. in a sock.

There are internet cafe places around but I can't speak personally of them. Perhaps a public library?

I think he's going to havea grea time, Europe is beautiful and Germany should not be missed.

Dave

EDIT: You say he will be backpacking, will he be sleeping under the starsor will he stay at a hotel? Perhaps if he stays at a hotel, they may have some kind of service available. Just a thought.

headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 2:19 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Another possibility is to go into a photo shop and ask them to burn them to CD for him. Or even to 2 CDs. He could stick one in the mail and keep the other with him.

Also it depends on the internet cafe - if you explain why what you want I'm sure there are many who would allow him (possibly under supervision) to send photos home.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 3:50 AM   #4
E.T

mfleming wrote:
Quote:
My son is going to backpack western Europe for six weeks this summer. He'll be bringing along a Canon SD200 with a gig card.* That should be enough for all his pictures;
Well, I've managed to take ~650 pics worth of ~1.6GB in one week trip.

According to stated amount of photos fitting to card I wouldn't really use that lowest quality setting, also medium quality setting (little under 1MB per image) might cause little quality loss in photos with lot of details but for less detail full photos, like those including some amount of sky it should be enough so that could be best default setting to use.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...sd200_pg2.html

And memory cards really are cheap, at best 1GB card (Transcend 120x) costs 35euros. (multiply with 1.2 for USDs)
But actually considering cards it would be surest to have 2 cards, while this kind solid state electronics is generally very long aged if it survives through factory's tests I still wouldn't want to have only one card.

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Another possibility is to go into a photo shop and ask them to burn them to CD for him. Or even to 2 CDs. He could stick one in the mail and keep the other with him.
That's what I would suggest.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 8:38 AM   #5

Headhunter, that's very nice of you to offer your own computer to him in Germany.

He'll be staying in hostels.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 8:40 AM   #6

Is this a common service at photo shops?

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:

Also it depends on the internet cafe - if you explain why what you want I'm sure there are many who would allow him (possibly under supervision) to send photos home.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 8:41 AM   #7

That's a good point. Maybe I could find some bargain smaller memeory cards, like 128-256MB sizes. Then, when each one is done, he could pop it in the mail to me. This would at least spread the risk.

E.T wrote:
Quote:
mfleming wrote:
Quote:
My son is going to backpack western Europe for six weeks this summer. He'll be bringing along a Canon SD200 with a gig card. That should be enough for all his pictures;
Well, I've managed to take ~650 pics worth of ~1.6GB in one week trip.

According to stated amount of photos fitting to card I wouldn't really use that lowest quality setting, also medium quality setting (little under 1MB per image) might cause little quality loss in photos with lot of details but for less detail full photos, like those including some amount of sky it should be enough so that could be best default setting to use.
peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
That's what I would suggest.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 1:51 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Is this a common service at photo shops?
Yes, almost every one does it.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 12:21 PM   #9

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:

I did this once when I was backpacking. Most of the time the hostel I was staying hada PC with broadband connection. Their PC also had most camera manufacturer's software installed, I just plugged in my canon with a USB cable and was able to transfer picturesto its hard drive. I broughtfew blank CD-Rs so I did not have to buy them from the Hostel manager.
globeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 1:16 PM   #10

Another option is a hyperdive ($240 USD). I just ordered one from www.hyperdrive.com to use on my trip to Poland, Germany, and France this summer. It is a 60GB portable hardrive that has card readers built into it. It will also run off batteries (AA) for up to 80GB worth of picture transfer on a single charge (or so they say).

Since I shoot raw most the time an my 512 xd card will only hold 60 raw photos this will be an invaluable tool. On my 12 day trip I could take 720 photos if I waited til I got to the hotel to transfer the photos or even more if I took the device with me.
nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote