Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 25, 2006, 11:09 AM   #1

Hi, I honestly dont know where to post this appropriately, so if you know a better place do tell. I am very close to getting a wedding photo job in late august. They aren't seeking a pro's rates, something less probably. What is the average wedding rate? they also want a photo book.

I can get the album book through photomax which is specially designed for weddings about $50-60, heck i can do anything with photomax. I just dont know what rate to charge? maybe $500?

Also I will need a tripod probably and of course a flash with softener (i'm thinking of getting a sunpak with flash shoe adapter).

here are my lens if you think they are suitable:

Minolta 28-85 f3.5-4.5
tokina ATX SD 80-400 f4.5-5.6 (this can be handheld)
18-70kit lens
28-80 kit lens (from maxxum 5)

the maxxum 5 i think is a good film backup, but havent even tested it yet.
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2006, 12:39 PM   #2
Administrator

If you need to ask these questions, you're not ready to shoot a wedding. ;-)

The photographer needs to have an excellent understanding of their equipment, exposure, lighting, people skills, posing skills and more.

Wedding photography is tough. You need to beg a pro to let you act as an assistant for a while in order to get a better feel for the difficulty of the job and hone your skills.

Then, decide what equipment you may need if you decide you want to charge for it (after you've got plenty of experience).

You'll need to have it covered for existing light shooting (some ministers are not going to allow a flash), as well as having adequate equipment for lighting, spare camera, batteries, memory cards, strobes, etc.

You only get one chance at capturing memories from a wedding. Screw it up, and they'll never forgive you.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 12:53 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Hi, I honestly dont know where to post this appropriately, so if you know a better place do tell
I moved this thread to the General Q&A Forum[/quote] so that more members may see it and respond.

Old Apr 25, 2006, 1:34 PM   #4

JimC wrote:
Quote:
You only get one chance at capturing memories from a wedding. Screw it up, and they'll never forgive you.
My wifes' Maid of Honor got married 5 years after we did, her fiance didn't see the need to use a wedding photographer taht anyone had ever heard of beffore, and the buffoon forgot to put film in the camera!. Just as well, because the wedding was a farce.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 2:03 PM   #5

thanks for the tips, these people seem to not had wanted a pro photographer, saying that they dont want it complicated and such, they want it intimate without the wedding craziness.

i'm thinking probably all wedding couples want this.

anyway i gave my rate as $500 including prints and all that, they just want it in a photo album.

I sure have a lot of time to get accustomed to this, since its in august, and i informed them as well that this will be my first time, and they seem ok with this.

I think the KM 5D will be great for this job, i've found it to handle low-light very well. I'll be getting lighting equpiment soon, hopefully a flash system and tripod off ebay for $100 (which would be a miracle).

please send me any links with more information to technique, etc. thanks.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 2:06 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
My wifes' Maid of Honor got married 5 years after we did, her fiance didn't see the need to use a wedding photographer taht anyone had ever heard of beffore, and the buffoon forgot to put film in the camera!.
I had a friend of mine get married a while back, and the wedding photographer skipped town after the wedding, with their depost.

They probably screwed it up badly. The conditions were terrible for an outdoor ceremony. It was held under a Gazeebo where the wedding party was in shadows, with bright backlight coming from behind them.

I took shots with two cameras (one film, one digital) and the loss of contrast from flare shooting into the backlight was very bad (and I was asked not to use a flash for fill). I had Exposure Compensation set to a +EV value with the Digital to try and help out and was trying to shoot dead on with film (center weighted metering).

The film needed pushing so much to handle the exposure that some of it was virtually unusable. The digital actually handled it better (surprisingly), although the background was blown with the settings I used to expose the wedding party.

I'm glad I was only shooting for fun (and my photos turned out to be the only ones they had of the ceremony since the photographer they hired skipped town). I'm still wondering to this day if the photographer left town, because they screwed up this wedding (they had recently started a photography business after working for someone else in a studio).

Old Apr 25, 2006, 3:07 PM   #7

well arent there contracts and forms as well so someone doesnt just run out?
Old Apr 25, 2006, 3:15 PM   #8
Administrator

The Photographer showed up and took photos (using film), and seemed to know what they were doing. But, the photographer never returned their phone calls after the wedding, and never gave themany proofs or anything.

They're still looking for the photographer (moved with no forwarding address). I'm confident that they'll take legal action if they can ever locate this person (and I don't know the details of what they've doneso far).

Old Apr 25, 2006, 4:43 PM   #9

Agree with JimC for a 100%. Wedding photography is a very tough job. I only shot two weddings as a huge favor to my friends, even so we settled that I would not be held responsible in case of not presenting acceptable quality prints, they payed all my expenses and I did not take a fee (it was my wedding present). At the end they were very happy with the pictures and I promised myself not to shoot weddings ever again .

You have to know your equipment and not to think about it. You have to have a backup of everything. Think what posed pics you want to shoot and stick to it. Search google for ideas and tips on wedding photography. Think how many pics you are going to take and prepare enough memory cards and batteries for your camera and flashguns, then double it and then add another 50%, and keep them at hand. You won't have a second chance to take a pic of the most important moments. Get to know the place before the ceremony. Try to find someone to boss people around for group shots, mother of the bride is the best person for this job :-).

I finished the NYIP pro photography course not long before those weddings and at least in theory I knew what to do and how to do it. In reality it was a lot harder and stressful.

Wish you luck

Before the wedding check that your will is in order and just do it. Who knows, you may even enjoy the experience:lol:.

P.S. The most useful lens in your list IMHO is the Minolta 28-85 f3.5-4.5.

algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 4:51 PM   #10

did you say will???

ok i have been looking through amazon for books. for instance heres one: Professional Techniques for the Wedding Photographer: A Complete Guide to Lighting, Posing and Taking Photographs That Sell

i also found an auction on ebay that for about 10 dollars gives me all photography contracts i need, not just wedding, but also copyright, model release, stuff like that. i could probably find this all online for free but.... finding it all in one package saves me a lot of time with finals and then pre-cruise, then 60 day cruise. yeah im a maritime cadet, but i love art. while on cruise i will be reading these in preparation.

dont think i could find a pro to hang on too, but i'll research on the internet.

thanks for the tip, the place is actually near my parents house so i should be able to get there.

i'm wondering what is the minimum amount of equipment needed. i have my DSLR, 3 lenses, a film SLR, and then i need flashes and a tripod (maybe a monopod? ).
[/b]