Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 18, 2003, 12:06 AM   #1

Default print resolution..how much?

I just cant seem to get this straight. I use a Fuji S2 pro. If I shoot in Fine High mode, the image when viewed is a 40x60 at a resolution of 72. 1. If I want to make an 8x10, how would I resize this (for saleable photo quality) I use photoshop and usually print 8x10 at a resolution of 400 from scanned images and they look great. I use Epson 1200 and 785 and just purchased a Kodak 8500 and a Mitsubishi cp8000.
shelz44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2003, 8:29 AM   #2

Some will find it strange that I print using PowerPoint. I insert the picture and drag and drop to the size I want. Makes it very easy - it's also very WYSIWYG.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2003, 9:22 AM   #3

I think when you take a big picture (2272 x 1704) it's at 72dpi,. When you resize it to 1024 x 768 but keep the file size the same, it increases the dpi. At least that's how it works in VuePrint.

My uderstanding is image size is 3 things

pixel size / image size
file size in kb
dpi

When you squeeze the image size down but keep the file size the same, you're increasing the dpi.

When you squeeze the image size down but keep the dpi the same, you DECREASE the file size.

Is that right?
ysr_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2003, 9:31 AM   #4

Quote:
When you squeeze the image size down but keep the file size the same, you're increasing the dpi.

When you squeeze the image size down but keep the dpi the same, you DECREASE the file size.

Is that right?
That about sums up my understanding.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2003, 10:28 AM   #5

Go into image, resize and uncheck the re-sample box. Change the resolution to 300 and then Photoshop should show you the actual print size you can get in centimetres. If its larger than you want increase the resolution (depending on your printer).
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote