Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 21, 2003, 1:40 PM   #11
NHL

The problem with a proprietary battery is the most accute if you seldomly use the camera. If you use the camera all the time and always have a battery charged then it not so much of a hassle. The 4500 has a $200 rebate so that's a lot of EN-EL1! (if you can live with an extra charger) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't own an s414, but it seems like a good deal; otherwise the Nikon 3100 also use AA's and CF's. The C-5050 is OK too if you can push pass $500... but then the choices widen considerably!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2003, 2:27 PM   #12

[quote="NHL"]...that's a lot of EN-EL1!...

NHL,

Thanks very much for your perseverence! 'Scuse my ignorance, but what stands for, EN-EL1? I was just beginning to compare images from the DiMAGE 414 with the S45. From what I read, it seems like a price point buster. Now back to look for samples.
davidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2003, 4:01 PM   #13
NHL

Quote:
Thanks very much for your perseverence! 'Scuse my ignorance, but what stands for, EN-EL1?
The EN-EL1 is the standard proprietary issue on most Nikon cameras and has the same footprint as a ~$10 - 2CR5 for emergency. ops:

For the same price than a use-once 2CR5 you can get 4 NiMh AA's 1800mAh rechargeable batteries. 8) 8) 8)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2003, 9:24 PM   #14
lg

Default Re: If you were deciding on a 3-4 megapixel camera...???

I don't have any experience with any of the cameras you mentioned, but the reviews at Steve's Digicams are a great place to start!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2003, 9:25 PM   #15
lg

Default Re: If you were deciding on a 3-4 megapixel camera...???

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidas
...Where I live it's extremely difficult to do a hands on comparison. Which camera would you choose?
I had the same problem, because the camera I wanted wasn't in current production. Steve's reviews of the individual digicams you are considering can be great tools that may help you to decide. Obviously, you can compare the features, but what was perhaps the final conclusive evidence for me was comparing images from the cameras I was considering for clarity, sharpness, exposure, and color rendition. Imaging Resource also offers a utility for side-by-side comparisons of images from many digital camera models as well.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2003, 8:40 AM   #16

Default Thanks, y'all! And the envelope, please...

First I want to thank Steve for running an incredible forum -- useful, informative, straightforward, LBNL, user friendly. Thanks, Steve I look forward to joining in more discussions!

And thanks, folks for all the input and advice on this choosing a digicam issue. It's been very helpful and I must have gone back to the thread dozens of times to reread and reconsider.

So, what have I decided? To hurry up and wait. Seriously, I decided that I could wait a bit, save up and add to the gift we received and move up into the 5 megapixel range, where the features and image quality of the cameras will provide us with a keeper of a camera, come what may. So, now I'm deciding between the Canon PS G3, Olympus C5050, Nikon CoolPix 5000, Sony DSC-717, Minolta DiMage 7i -- but mostly waiting for the Sony DSC-V1 to be released. I hope it's as good as it looks on paper (well, in bits, anyway.) Like the other famous Steve liked to quote, "The Journey is the reward!"

All the best,

David
davidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2003, 3:05 PM   #17

I have had a Minolta F200 camera for the last few weeks. Its excellent value and also has a lot of manual features. I got this after five faulty Canon Powershots, three S45's and two S50's.

Im glad its worked out this way because I think I do prefer the Minolta. Its a lot easier and better for macro's and uses AA batteries. The only downside is the fact that it uses SD cards, which are more expensive than the compact flash. I personally went for a compact camera because i wouldn't carry around a bulky camera.
NickyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2003, 10:17 PM   #18

nice images on your site
kschewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2003, 11:41 PM   #19

Nicky,
Is it true that the pictures from those Minolta's have to be run through a special program on your PC to correct the colors?
Also, what exactly was wrong with all those Canon's? Just curious for future purchases and what I should look out for.
Great photos too by the way!!
-Dave
djkothbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2003, 11:50 AM   #20

The first three Powershots S45's all had dead pixels. The first S50 produced pictures like this:

which im now not 100% sure was a fault as such, more a case of the 5m megapixels showing up problems with the lense? Problems with CA?

The last S50 had a misaligned lens and CCD, all the pictures sloped off to to the left! The assistant in the shop said "Can't you just hold it on a slant when you take a picture?" :-)

Thanks for the comments about my new website.
NickyG is offline   Reply With Quote