Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 18, 2003, 11:07 AM   #1

Default If you were deciding on a 3-4 megapixel camera...???

I'm trying to decide on a first digital camera. In the (ancient) past, I've owned a Rollei, Nikon F2, Nikkormat EL, Bolex H16, but a novice when it comes to digital photography. I'll be using it for general purpose (including landscapes, portraits, and macro!) with a Macintosh. The camera will be a gift to us and my short list included the Canon PowerShots A-70 & G2, Nikon CoolPix 4500 but has just expanded to the Minolta Dimage F100 and soon to be released Pentax Optio 450 and Nikon SQ! Where I live it's extremely difficult to do a hands on comparison. Which camera would you choose?

Thanks very much in advance,

David
davidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2003, 11:55 AM   #2

You mention macro so I suggest the 4500 which is great for that purpose and also the other things you mention.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2003, 1:38 AM   #3

i 2nd the 4500....lots of great comments on that digicam...go for it!
mrdinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2003, 6:06 AM   #4
NHL

I'd like to add that you should also put some greater consideration into cameras that can accept AA and CF flash cards... You'll understand this right away after a few shots! 8)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2003, 2:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve6
You mention macro so I suggest the 4500 which is great for that purpose and also the other things you mention.
Thanks, Steve! I've been leaning towards the 4500.
Old Apr 20, 2003, 8:16 AM   #6

[quote="NHL"]I'd like to add...

Thanks NHL! Your advice is intriguiging. From my list, that would pretty much mean the Canon PS A70 or G2 (which appears to be discontinued). Is there another camera in that price range that shoots as well as the 4500? Since I have no experience with recent consumer or prosumer cameras, what is the difference between the battery and storage media in the CoolPix and, say, a Canon G2 or the new Nikon SQ which is supposed to sport a camera unit/battery charger? I see that you have the CoolPix 990, to which the 4500 is an upgrade. How do you rate it with some of the newer cameras?

David
Old Apr 20, 2003, 9:20 AM   #7

Instead of limiting yourself to AA batteries, just figure the cost of getting three or four extra propietory batteries when you buy the camera. Not many cameras will stay in contention with that extra cost, but some might.

If you haven't worked with digital, I'd suggest starting by shooting a few rolls of film and having them scanned to a CD - that is fairly cheap when done at the time of processing, and with fairly low resolution. Then learn how to use a photo editor. When you have learned how to use the "digital darkroom", you will have a much better idea of what you want in a camera, you will be ready to use it, and the price will have come down.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2003, 3:43 AM   #8

[quote="BillDrew"]Instead of limiting yourself to AA batteries, just figure the cost of getting three or four extra propietory batteries when you buy the camera...

Good point, thanks Bill! I also like your tip to familiarize with digital darkroom software. Although I'm fairly adept with PhotoShop and some 3D apps already, your suggestion is good. Being able to massage hue, contrast and brightness in camera is an interesting consideration. I've already been "developing" the last several rolls of film to CD and looking for a way to transfer some of my old portfolio of reversal slides to CD, as well. The 4500 appeals to me because it was reviewed as being a shooting camera, with a nice set of manual settings. The only problem there, is that the shot to shot cycle is reportedly sluggish. So, I guess it comes down to image quality price/performance in shooting, since I don't mind manipulating images "off-line". I'll only be able to afford the Nikon CP 4500 because of a healthy rebate, and from comparisons, I realize I DO want a minimum of 4 megapixels. So, which camera???

BTW, this is a great forum! Thanks, folks, for all the comments, advice and pointers!
Old Apr 21, 2003, 6:34 AM   #9
NHL

It's not just the cost, but the inconvenience that entails when different chargers are required, especially when you run out of battery in the middle of nowhere. You can use other non-reuseable battery of course (but at ~$10 a pop!).
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8758

CF flash get you inexpensive film! -> cheap power + cheap film and it won't cramp your shooting style... 8) 8) 8)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2003, 2:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
...CF flash get you inexpensive film! -> cheap power + cheap film and it won't cramp your shooting style... 8) 8) 8)
Gotcha! So, I'm back to which camera would you recommend in the $400 - 450 price range that produces best of class images is user friendly, runs on AA/NimH juice and stores on CF -- and will be a keeper?

Thanks,

David