Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 18, 2003, 12:28 PM   #1

Default ISO with external flash?

Dumb question on ISO.
Using a Sony DSC-F717, using external flash with it for the first time (Sunpak 120' auto)

I'm photographing rock bands in concert, want to retain some of the stage lighting and effect. Have a cool Photoflex blow-up softbox (litedome XTC).

The question: What is recommended ISO setting for external flash in this case? Shooting generaly at 1/100. At what point does serious grain and noise kick in?

What is your recommendation for all-around basic ISO setting?

Thanks
aakalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2003, 12:48 PM   #2

Default Re: ISO with external flash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aakalan
The question: What is recommended ISO setting for external flash in this case? Shooting generaly at 1/100. At what point does serious grain and noise kick in?
Thanks
I assume you are using the flash in auto mode (auto aperture) , the ISO setting of the camera have to match the flash scale indication.
At iso 200, noise still acceptable. With flash , no need to go further. 100 is perfect if you can have correct exposure of the background scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aakalan
Dumb question on ISO.
I'm photographing rock bands in concert, want to retain some of the stage lighting and effect.
Use widest aperture setting, and use slowest speed you can manage , with a tripod or monopod, you can easily go to 1/30 sec. even at long zoom. The speed will control the lightning of everything not reached by the flash. Camera aperture and flash setting control the subject(s) lighted by the flash
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote