Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 28, 2006, 9:08 AM   #1

my first camera was a Sony DSC-P32 3.2MP that I got at Walmart a few years back. Its worked out pretty well. Only thing I use camera for is snapshots of kids, and other minor things... I am NO PROFESSIONAL BY ANY MEANS. i dont really even know how to change brightness, etc... i just take pictures in standard easy mode.

anyway, i came across this duocam and grabbed it. thought it would be great could do video and still pictures in one (didnt have a digital video camera)... and this new one is also 5.25 instead of 3.2mp... how can I go wrong right?

well pictures I took, im not very happy with... I have a question. Was I just expecting too much? or are these crappy pictures? im going to try and upload here, but if it doesnt show up its because they are too big... how can I show them??
00bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2006, 1:25 PM   #2

You might read through this: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=2

There are resizing instructions for many editors and viewers on this forum if you read through a few pages: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_forum.php?id=70

It is pretty hard to see what your problems are without photos.

I would suggest you resize and crop in the freeware Irfanview. When you save as a JPG it lets you keep the EXIF data with the image so people can see what settings the camera was using. http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=70

You should be able to get good images from that camera.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 1:40 PM   #3

okay, i DL that program and resized a couple pictures. i resized them to HALF size 3 times... so i guess youll have to DOUBLE them 3x to get back to where I was at. These are done in the highest 5.25mp mode. my son had a musical last night at school and these are just a couple snap shots I took.

anyway, i think they look a little grainy and blurry when viewed at full size and not any better than my old cheap sony 3.2mp. are my expectations too high and these are ok pictures, or am I correct that these arent very good?

Attached Images

Old Apr 28, 2006, 1:40 PM   #4

another
Attached Images

Old Apr 28, 2006, 3:58 PM   #5

The pics you posted are a little too small to see any detail. By the time you cut it in half 3 times, and I have to double it 3 times, there isn't much detail left. You also stripped the EXIF data, so we can't see what settings you used.

If you're using Irfanview, when you resize the pics, just click on 640 x 480 pixels. That's a good size to upload. When you save the pic, make sure the "keep original EXIF data" box is checked.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 8:30 PM   #6

Both my previous post and the instructions in the third link suggested and showed in pictures how to keep from stripping the EXIF. This isn't rocket science – you have pictures of each step.

There is a place to check 800 X 600 pixels as one of your choices. That is about the smallest you can reduce a full sized photo to and still make any judgments about it. Better yet crop out an 800 X 600 section and don't resize. But maybe we should just settle for getting something we can see.

You also saved at a very low quality compression. The image came out at only 12k and there are compression artifacts. You can use quality 80% in Irfanview and still get a decent image you can post without too many artifacts. Once you destroy the image with an extreme downsize and low quality compression you can't get the image back by upsizing. I also notice you didn't change the image names. Unless you put them in different folders from the originals you overwrote the originals with images much too small to make even a decent 4 X 6 print. You have to be careful with those images – my instructions in that third link said: Type a new name in for the image or send it to another folder. I hope you sent them to another folder when you saved because you evidently didn't change the filenames.

There is no reason they should look any better onscreen just because they are a higher Mp. According to your screen resolution you could be seeing as high as 1600 X 1200 pixels onscreen, but most screens aren't set nearly that high. Your P32 makes a 2048 X 1536 pixel image at best quality which is more resolution than a current computer screen can show. So the image has to be downsized to view onscreen unless you want to scroll around to see the entire image. Your 5Mp images have to also be downsized to the same size as the 3Mp images. You will see a big difference in quality between the two cameras if you print an 11 X 14 for your wall. But for small snapshot sized prints and onscreen viewing there won't be a difference just based on Mp. What you get with the Samsung is more versatility in the zoom and better movies – not necessarily better pictures as viewed onscreen.

This is what your little image looks like just resized back to 600 X 800. It would look terrible resized back to the original 2592 X 1944 pixels.

Attached Images

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 8:50 PM   #7
Administrator

00bolt

What do you expect to be different with a higher resolution camera?

I see that you're now looking at alternatives, too.

As slipe already mentioned, higher resolution isn't going to give you any benefits at screen viewing sizes. Chances are, all things being equal (and they rarely are), you're not going to see any difference at typical print and viewing sizes between 3 and 5 Megapixels.

Sometimes, higher resolution models can be even worse (because the more photosites being stuffed into a small sensor, the smaller they need to be, which means they'll generate a weaker signal because their surface area is smaller).

Are you trying to take these photos without a flash? If so, you can't expect to get good results with a non-stationary subject with most similar camera models (although some newer models are much better compared to others).

You need the ability to shoot at higher ISO speeds to get faster shutter speeds with the lenses found on the vast majority of non-DSLR cameras (and most of them will give you grainy pics at higher ISO speeds, with a limited number of ISO speeds available). If you don't have high enough ISO speeds available for the largest available aperture in low light, you'll get motion blur shooting a non-statonary subject (or blur from camera shake if the subject is stationary and you're not using a tripod).

Post an image that includes the EXIF using the instructions given by slipe and let members know what conditions you plan on using a camera in. Then, you may be able to get better informed responses as to what you need to meet your expectations.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 9:06 PM   #8

You said you bought the camera yesterday. Play with it more. Remember you do not have to pay for films nor processing! The more expensive cameras will take more learning curve to master. I usually do not expect much for the first 1,000 pictures from my new DSLR, which usually took less than one month. Take pictures of any thing you see and you will learn from those pictures. I bet your DCAM1001 will be far better than the DCAM0001!
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 9:14 AM   #9

thanks guys, sorry to bother you but i returned it and got a Canon S2 and it BLOWS THESE PICTURES AWAY... im totally happy with results on this one... again, thanks