Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 28, 2006, 9:39 PM   #1

So I was working today with PhotoshopCs getting some pics ready for MothersDay, and I noticed the computer was running really slow, so I thought, ok I have to defrag tonight etc.....and then I noticed that the file was 855mb in size? OUCH It started off with an 8mp jpeg, and then with the edits ...it blew up in size...

So my question is (and while I understand how to reduce its size to something more practical) does this happen to you at all? How often does your file size get out of control?
dashboardgyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2006, 9:05 AM   #2
DBB

dashboardgyno wrote:
Quote:
So I was working today with PhotoshopCs getting some pics ready for MothersDay, and I noticed the computer was running really slow, so I thought, ok I have to defrag tonight etc.....and then I noticed that the file was 855mb in size? OUCH It started off with an 8mp jpeg, and then with the edits ...it blew up in size...

So my question is (and while I understand how to reduce its size to something more practical) does this happen to you at all? How often does your file size get out of control?
Unless you have discovered a new bug in Photoshop, a file will not grow by itself. You would have had to do something to achieve this kind of awesome effcts...:lol:

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 9:08 PM   #3

I went on a binge this week, and went processing recent pictures, and there are quite a few that are really big. I found tiffs that are 74mb... and a jpeg that was 34mb...... I was what the .....

It must be something to do with the layers, but I don't know what I did differently that normal, and only recently have the file become super huge....

Any ideas??
Old Apr 29, 2006, 9:32 PM   #4

Just as an example, a .jpeg from my 5MP camera runs around 3.5MB, give or take quite abit. A .tiff (8 bit) is 14.4 MB. 16 bit .tiff is double that, 28.8 MB.

When you open the .jpeg, it is opened as a bitmapped image which is the same size as an uncompressed .tiff. Add some layers, each of which is same size as original, and you can get some pretty good sized files. This is why photo editing software is such a resource hog. You need lots of RAM, and virtual memory space on hard drive(s). Things slow down when RAM is maxed out, and the software has to go back and forth to HD a lot.

I have tried things like flattening images, but it soesn't really have much effect on system speed. PS retains a full copy in the history for each change you make, so when you reach the point of bogging down, you need to flatten, save, close and reopen. This closes the history, and resets RAM and virtual memory use.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 10:04 PM   #5

Every layer you add in Photoshop increases the file size.

So if you start with a 5meg file each layer you add increased its size x5megs add some effects and if may increase more or decrease depending on what you do..

To help speed things sometimes you can purge the memory in Photoshop if an action you did consumed some this includes things like the history, but by purging it you also clear all information, the file size will not decrease you only clear memory for other use.

To Purge Memory go to EditPurge here you will find 4 options Undo, Clip Board, History and All
jtgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 8:27 AM   #6

Yeah I think you guys are right on the money. I noticed that every layer I was adding was at 300ppi and that is how the layers were adding up... oops..

so the next question is should I be doing all my edits at 72ppi and then changing at the end to 300 for a final printable copy? Or does it matter?
Old Apr 30, 2006, 9:28 AM   #7
DBB

dashboardgyno wrote:
Quote:
Yeah I think you guys are right on the money. I noticed that every layer I was adding was at 300ppi and that is how the layers were adding up... oops..

so the next question is should I be doing all my edits at 72ppi and then changing at the end to 300 for a final printable copy? Or does it matter?
The ppi setting doesn't really effect the file size, only the print size. You can ignore it until you are ready to print. I have PS set to convert everything to 300 ppi, but that's just a convenience, since I always print at 300 ppi

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote