Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 19, 2003, 4:32 PM   #1

Default How do you determine your USB speed on the computer??

Good afternoon gang,
I am trying to determine if my USB port on my computer is a 1 or a 2. I just purchased a tripper for usb storage and they suggest having a usb 2 card. Thanks for you time and see ya in the hills.
Hiking girl
hiking girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2003, 4:52 PM   #2

How old is your computer? Most purchased in the last 3 or so years is almost guarenteed to have it. If you have a lap top, you might have needed to purchase it in the last 2 or so year.

I had to do some hunting to find it out on WindowXP. I ran:
start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Information

From there I went to "Software Environment". The first catagory is System Drivers. Way down near the bottom is the driver called "usbhub", the description is "USB2 Enabled Hub". (I know I have USB2, as I built my machine myself.)

I looked in several other places, but couldn't find it. I looked in the Device Manager, and found USB information. But it didn't say if it was USB 2 or not. There must be a better way than what I did, so I'm hoping that someone else can teach us both.

If you got the system from someone like Dell or Gateway, you should be able to download the specifications from their web site (assuming you've misplaced the manuals.)[/code]
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2003, 5:44 PM   #3

Most likely it is a 1.1 version of USB

Seems more and more newer computers are coming with USB 2.0, but the cards for USB 2.0 are getting less expensive now anyway.

Up here in the snowy north, we sell the 2.0 cards for bout $30
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2003, 6:08 PM   #4

the good thing to know is that it really doesn't matter what usb flavor you have on your pc, it all plays nice together.
macleod76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2003, 6:56 PM   #5

Perhaps if the poster is or has bought a 5Mpix cam and will be transferring big files including TIFF or RAW, it is a very relevant question if the camera or card reader can stream at the faster rate, rather than just work with backwards compatible USB1.1.

My Ethernet cards are 10/100 Base T, but it's 100Mbit/s I want not 10Mbit/s - even though it still plays with my 10 Base T cards! I like it when the green led is lit.

So I would prefer all my usb 2 devices to be compliant and get closer to 480Mbit/sec, rather than USB1.1 doing 12Mbit/sec or 1.5Mbit/sec. Even though the bottleneck might at the moment be in memory speed.

To confirm which you have, press WinKey + Pause/Break. This will open the System window. It will be located under different tabs in the different versions of Windows (for example, it's under Hardware in XP), but what you're looking for is the Device Manager. Under Device Manager, look for Universal Serial Bus. If there is no "Enhanced" USB Controller, you have the older USB 1.1.

NHL....what is the most you can stream a fast card/Microdrive at on the serial bus?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2003, 10:04 PM   #6

voxmagna, eric, and all,
Thanks for the info. I have a Dell inspiron that is two years old. I know the lastest versions has 2.1 but not sure about mine. I am running a microdrive full of raw photos from my nikon so speed matters. Voxmagna, I couldn't follow your last bit of instructions using the winkey + pause/break. I don't see any of those on my keyboard. AM i missing something here. ops:
THis site continues to be one of the best resources I have found anywhere for photography and I thank you for continuing in not making us "newbies" feel stupid.
Hiking Girl
hiking girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2003, 10:27 PM   #7

Being that you have a Dell, go to support.dell.com (no www). For the type of customer you are, choose home. Somewhere on the page should be a place you can type in your dell service tag (it's usually made of letters and number ... about 6 of them). Once you've entered this, you can then tell the site to give you the details of your system as it was shipped

OR

You can probably just call their tech support with the serive tag and they can tell you on the phone.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2003, 4:31 AM   #8

I 'borrowed' that text from somewhere. My keyboard running W98SE has a key with a 'MS Window' on it (bottom left). Pause/Break is in the right hand group. I follow the instruction and it goes straight to hardware properties, without mousing into control panel. Cheers - VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2003, 8:41 AM   #9

if you hav a dell inspiron and it 2 yrs old i can guarante it does not have USB 2 on it. i have one too, an 8100. i added USB 2 via the pcmcia slot by a 2 port card by SIIG. there are a few of these around. price is from $25-$50 with drivers. www.newegg.com has them. some with free shipping (shipping charge built into the price already). they work real well. there even a combo USB2/firewire400 card for $75.

i have one and have an external USB2 HD enclosure using my old 30gig 2.5 drive in it as a image holding drive for trips.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2003, 9:59 AM   #10

Default USB

Look at the little symbol by the USB port, if it shows a + it is 2.0 If no + it is 1.2
cranfordrd is offline   Reply With Quote