Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 21, 2003, 12:42 AM   #1
sri

Default Olympus 4000 Shutter Speed.

After reviewing steves and few other digcam websites, I bought Olympus 4000. So far I took around 20 pictures but one of my first observations is that it's shutter speed is low. I bought this camera to take pictures of my new born but I couldn't take a single picture with my new born expressions that I need. My question is am I doing any thing wrong? Is there any setting in the camera for the shutter speed? By the time picture is taken, my new born is in diffrent pose.

From this camera can I view the pictures(not movie) in TV?

I also have a strong feeling that soon this camera will be out of market and so there will be a price reduction. Do you think so?
sri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2003, 7:08 AM   #2

Quote:
I also have a strong feeling that soon this camera will be out of market and so there will be a price reduction. Do you think so?
Possibly but not much.

Quote:
Is there any setting in the camera for the shutter speed? By the time picture is taken, my new born is in diffrent pose.
Shutter lag is one of the major digi problems. Try pre-focussing (half depress the button) and hold it there until you push home. This should help.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2003, 1:08 PM   #3

The problem is you should never buy a camera just before an important event. One of the most asked questions we get here is, "I'm going on vacation next week, what digital camera should I buy?" The most common response is, "You should have bought it months ago so you can get used to the camera...otherwise you'll be spending your vacation learning how to use the camera." I bought my camera a month before I left on vacation and sure enough I still had to spend a lot of it learning how to use the camera's advanced features, and I was still learning new features months later.

Steve6's shutter button tip is how most of us handle it. You'll get that with almost all consumer digitals...if you want a fast digital you'll have to spend a few thousand on a dSLR.

No, there's no other way to reduce shutter lag (unless you learn how to use the manual focusing, and other manual settings). Yes, you can output to TV to view pictures in the camera (you should have gotten a video cable in the box, just plug it into the camera and select Play mode on the camera). Also, I hope you're still not using the lithiums that came with the camera or AA Alkalines...the best batteries are NiHM rechargeables, 1800mAh or higher.

Suggest you visit sites like http://www.photocourse.com and also read the manuals, including the reference manual on the CD that's in PDF format...a lot of good information in it.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2003, 1:19 PM   #4

Default Re: Olympus 4000 Shutter Speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri
I bought this camera to take pictures of my new born but I couldn't take a single picture with my new born expressions that I need. My question is am I doing any thing wrong? Is there any setting in the camera for the shutter speed? By the time picture is taken, my new born is in diffrent pose.
My remedy for this is, is to shoot using Manual Focus. I've been shooting using MF for the last month, and my results have improved dramatically. I have been following Fenlander's settings of f5.6-f11 aperture for increased DOF, and increased sharpness/clarity. My suggestion is to start at f5.6 with leaving the default MF to 5 metres. You have so much DOF that you can increase/decrease your distance from the subject without having to re-focus.

Regards,

Oz
The_Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2003, 4:32 PM   #5

What is DOF? oh is it Depth of Field?
Old Apr 21, 2003, 7:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey
What is DOF? oh is it Depth of Field?
DOF = Depth of Field.

Oz
The_Oz is offline   Reply With Quote