Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 21, 2003, 4:30 AM   #1

Default Using a tripod

Am I completely wasting my time pushing the shutter button on my camera while it is attached to the tripod?

Does using a tripod mandate using a remote shutter release?
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2003, 6:05 AM   #2

Not entirely, I think it's still steadier but not ideal. If you haven't got a remote use the timer as I do.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2003, 7:55 AM   #3

A good quality tripod is the answer Lauren. check the one out on www.proshooter.homestead.com
pro shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2003, 8:12 AM   #4

Is that compatible with my Fuji? I noticed you had an Agfa digicam (jealous!) and am concerned with being able to attach my camera to the tripod.

I have to admit, I suck quite badly at taking pictures. Is it even worth it to strive to be as good as you? It seems like a lesson in futility.
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2003, 12:13 PM   #5

I did some closeups of a flower the other day with a tripod...my camera doesn't have a remote, and although it has a timer I opted not to use it.

Instead I used shutter lag as an advantage. I had everything framed up, all the settings correct...I depress the shutter button fully and imediately took my hand off...in the time it took to focus, etc. the camera stops shaking and takes the picture.

Remember, the tripod is just there to help you steady the camera...you can keep your hands on it if you like as long as it's a good tripod that's steady.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2003, 7:31 PM   #6

you can trip the shutter with the on-camera shutter release. Like people say, a good stable tripd will let you do this. But for longer exposures, use the self-timer. Most will let you set it it for a long delay (so you can get into the picture), and for a very short delay (like 2 seoconds). the short delay works as a pretty good "virtual" cable (or remote) release
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2003, 9:41 PM   #7

About releasing the button while the camera is focusing, etc. I do the opposite. I have found that keeping the shutter button down during the entire process to reduce hand movement. I have got better results doing it that way.

It is no substitute for a tripod, anyway.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2003, 12:56 PM   #8

Oh ya, if I'm doing a handheld shot I'll keep my finger on the shutter button till a second after the shutter clicks (did the same on my SLR). Sorry if I didn't make that clear that my releasing the shutter button was while it was on the tripod so there's no impact with shake from keeping my hand on the camera for a longer shot.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2003, 7:59 PM   #9

This is one of the better foums available.
Some contributers and their BS websites detract from what this forum is all about.
It is just a matter of time before legit contributors have heard enough.
fredh is offline   Reply With Quote