Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 3, 2006, 9:44 PM   #1

I had a good friend ask me to photograph their wedding in liu of a professional. I've advised them very strongly against this, explained my limited backup equipment, and even more important, my limited skills. They have seen and enjoyed some of my amature work and are insistant I do the photos. I told them worst case, my camera could drop, break, memory cards all get deleted, and they wind up with no pictures. They are willing to accept this, knowing others will be also taking pictures, and would get some pictures taken in their wedding clothes after the wedding.

All the above said, with them very aware of the above, I feel that takes off some of the pressure. Moreover, I would enjoy the challange. Any ideas or thoughts?
mattroth54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2006, 9:51 PM   #2

Be very careful with this, its their big day, make sure you have a backup camera. get them to purchase a bunch of disposable cameras to hand out among the guests to take photos with, that way you will get different aspects of the wedding. look through a wedding photography site and note all the kinds of photos that are taken, make a list so to besure not to forget to photograph certain things. Ive done two weddings and cant say i enjoyed them at all although the photos came out pretty good and the couples were really happy. just make sure the couple understand the pitfalls and the limitations you will have.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 9:52 PM   #3

mattroth54 wrote:
Quote:
I had a good friend ask me to photograph their wedding in liu of a professional. I've advised them very strongly against this, explained my limited backup equipment, and even more important, my limited skills. They have seen and enjoyed some of my amature work and are insistant I do the photos. I told them worst case, my camera could drop, break, memory cards all get deleted, and they wind up with no pictures. They are willing to accept this, knowing others will be also taking pictures, and would get some pictures taken in their wedding clothes after the wedding.

All the above said, with them very aware of the above, I feel that takes off some of the pressure. Moreover, I would enjoy the challange. Any ideas or thoughts?
Hi Matt,

I think you are completely validated in your concerns. If it were me (and this is MERELY my opinion!), I wouldn't do it. While I'd be EXTREMELY honored and flattered, I couldn't live with myself if I took pictures and they didn't meet their expectations... it's one of the most special days in their lives and it's a lot of pressure.

That being said, search your soul. If you think you can handle it, then go for it.

Not sure when they're getting married...but an idea may be in the next week or so... take some "ENGAGEMENT" pictures of the couple... maybe in a park setting or something... maybe a church...or even where they'll be married! This way they can get a PREVIEW of what their photos may look like with the given light, etc.

Just an idea... best of luck to you! It is VERY flattering.
TedM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 9:58 PM   #4

I have been shanghaied into doing this, and while I wasn't very happy with the results, my friends were thrilled.

That said, it is your judgement as to whether your friends would accept less than great results if something were to go wrong. I would also suggest, as a backup and for guest participation, that they provide disposable cameras to guests. With enough people shooting, someone is bound to get some good shots.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 10:00 PM   #5

I like the disposable camera idea. I've very much discouraged my friends from going down this road (using me), but they are not going to change their mind. As long as they know the risks, I'm willing to give it my best. Thanks for the thoughts!

Matt

Old May 3, 2006, 10:12 PM   #6

[align=left]Face north

Move your nose to the right (West) then left (East) several times... signalling "NO!!!"

Turn toward the south and run away as fast as you can.

Doing a friend's wedding is among the worst things you can do. It can only bring grief unless you're a great photographer with a lot of wedding experience. I suspect you're not or you wouldn't have posted your question. You might be better off delivering their first baby... that's safer than photographing their wedding. They might have more than one child, but they'll only have one wedding... errrr... that shows my age :lol:

If they're unwilling to hire a professional, that's their problem. Whatever photos are taken on the wedding day will be around 30 years from now, whether their good or bad. If you opt to sign on, you'd better be sure of your work. I wouldn't trust myself to shoot a friend's wedding and I'm a pretty good amateur photographer.

Think about it... give the bride and groom a donation toward a professional photographer's job, then stick around in the background during the celebration and reception and shoot some candid shots.
[/align]
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 1:36 AM   #7

search for "eric wedding" and you'll see a lot of comments from me on this subject.

My stated opinion is don't do it. Absolutely not.
-You risk loosing your friendship.
-You won't actually take part in the wedding, as you will be "working it". You won't enjoy yourself, and you won't really even remember it as you'll be paying attention to specific things (exposure, composition, lighting angles, being at the right place at the right time,...) that you won't actually be apart of the event.
-It is really, really hard to shoot a wedding well. Just read my posts to get an idea.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 10:42 PM   #8

I have shot three weddings with my wife (who got us into the situation - she is the better photographer in the house) and I agree with those who say don't do it, run away, offer to pay for a pro to do it, schedule your heart transplant for that date, ...

But since you are going to ignore that kind of advice, make sure you have lots of help. Someoneto round up Uncle Fred when it is timefor a picture of that branch of the family. Some one to adjust clothing so it is just right. Lots of someones with other cameras, disposable included. Someone to shoo away the kids who want to play in front of the camera, ... If nothing else, having lots of help means you won't have to hold the whole burden when something goes wrong.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 2:38 PM   #9

It's been a while, and against most good advice, I went through with photographing the wedding. There was one other guy taking lots of pictures, so between the two of us, the bride and groom were very happy. In case anyone was wondering how everything went, I'm finally getting around to posting a few of my shots.

Old Jan 1, 2007, 3:30 PM   #10

I'd just like to say those pics are great...We've all gotta start somewhere and personally i think you done very well...Congrats on there wedding and most of all your "Pics"....!!!! "You done em Proud"..!!

P.S I like pics #3 and #8
wrams is offline   Reply With Quote