Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 21, 2003, 4:44 PM   #1

Default Taking pics far away?

So are digicams not good for this?
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2003, 5:15 PM   #2

The problem isn't inherent in it being digital. The problem is keeping the cost down. Telephoto lenses are expensive, especially ones which have the lower f-stop numbers.

There are some digital cameras with fixes lenses which have impressive zooms. Many are no longer in production, but a few still are.

Minolta DiMAGE7Hi has a 7x zoom (28mm - 200mm 35mm equiv.)
HP Photosmart 850 8x zoom (37-300mm 35mm equiv.)
Nikon Coolpix 5700 8x zoom (35-280mm 35mm equiv.)

Those are just some examples, I'm sure others could offer more. I know nothing about the HP, but I'v heard very good things about the Minolta and the Nikon.

Oh, and you'll see digital cameras offer both "optical" and "digital" zoom. You want the larger optical zoom. The digital zoom close to worthless. A digital zoom is basically just croping the picture and enlarging the smaller part. With good software (like photoshop) you can probably do a better job using your desk top computer (which is more powerful, and therefor could use more complex algorithms to do a better job.)
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2003, 5:52 PM   #3

Honey,
Do you mean using long range telephoto, or do you mean the quality of detail in normal far away shots?

If you mean using the camera with a telephoto lens to bring far away subjects up close, then there are numerous ways to do this, but you must choose a digital camera which is amenable to using telephoto adapters.

All the digital SLR (removable lens digital) cameras can use a wide variety of telephoto lenses to get good shots up to a focal length of around 1000mm or so. But these are expensive solutions. Several consumer and prosumer cameras have up to 12x optical zoom. Pentax is making a new 3 megapixel camera with 12x optical stabilized zoom. Olympus made the C2100UZ which was a 2 megapixel with 10X optical stabilized zoom. Also they made the E-100RS with the same lens, but only at 1.5 megapixel resolution. Canon made the Pro 90 with the same 10X optical stabilized zoom lens which was 2.6 megapixel resolution.

There have been numerous 6x (Fuji, Minolta) and 8x (Nikon, Olympus, etc.) cameras.

If you really want to do long range telephoto, the very best consumer digicams are the small CP series Nikons like the CP950, CP990, CP995, CP4500, etc. These can be used with a wide range of telephoto adapters and even telescopes to take images at up to 6000mm which equates to over 150x.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2003, 6:04 PM   #4

sorry for not being clear, I mean the quality of pictures in far away shots. I guess for some, I'd like to bring them closer. I will be taking this camera w/ me to Hawaii, whichever one I get.
Old Apr 21, 2003, 8:37 PM   #5

Hi Honey,

At print sizes up to 8x10 you will see no differences between this and a 35mm film camera using medium fine grain color film.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2003, 1:22 AM   #6

digicams can be very good for far away shots. Just take a look at the digiscoping forum. If you truly want to use vast telephoto, then go for the cp4500 (since this is the camera of choice for those who want lots of connectivity options and digiscopers) and a spotting scope as these things can multiply the zoom by up to 60x.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2003, 4:51 PM   #7

Thanks alot.
Old Apr 22, 2003, 9:23 PM   #8
lg

Hi Honey... I just answered your inquiry about selecting a camera in another post. Assuming you still want a camera that will fit into a medium sized handbag, there are several cameras having a 8 - 10x optical zoom that may be exactly what you want. Check out the Olympus 700 series (700, 720, 730, and the newer models). I prefer the ones that take standard AA batteries, but there's probably nothing wrong with the proprietary batteries. I'm sure you can find one of the 3MP models that fits not only your handbag, but also your pocketbook as well .
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2003, 6:39 PM   #9

Thank you lg.