Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 21, 2003, 7:20 PM   #1

Default printing

I would like to get some prints done at walmart etc. I would like to get them printed 4x6. I have a 4mp camera which has a resolution of 2448x1632 and a 230dpi. In photoshop I can change the size easily by unselecting the resample and changing the pix/inch to 408 which gives me a size of 4x6. Would this be the best way to go for the best quality? Suggestions what you guys do when u get your images pro printed. thanks
kschewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2003, 7:55 PM   #2

That's a good way if the chosen vendor will accept filesizes that large. Some of the online printers limit filesize. If you're going to a real pro, ask what resolution is best for their equipment. If you know the file will be resampled, it's probably best to do the resampling yourself rather than letting them do it.
JimHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2003, 8:27 PM   #3

the camera itself really doesn't have a "DPI rating". Just take the memory card in and print. I think you will like the results.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2003, 8:27 PM   #4

Just save your pictures in JPEG with a 6:4 aspect ratio, e.g., 2448x1632pixels. Tell Wal*Mart to print them 4x6" and that is all there is to it. No need to resize in any way.

To keep the confusion down, ask them to print one of each image on the CD. If you want two copies, put two copies on the CD, e.g., 486.jpg and 486copy.jpg If you want different sizes with the same order, put them in different directories that are named to match the size, e.g., 4x6, 8x10, ...
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2003, 10:32 PM   #5

thanks for the info. I will let you know how they turn out and the details of getting images printed at walmart
Old Apr 22, 2003, 9:48 PM   #6
lg

Default Wal-Mart -- local or online service?

As long as you're going to give us the details from printing at Wal-Mart, are these services available at your local store? I tried their print service online, but received the wrong print and never heard from them again even though I complained when I picked up the photo at my local Wal-Mart. The local store here doesn't print from CD or memory card at this time-- this option is only available at the Kodak Picture Maker kiosk in the store.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2003, 11:18 PM   #7

Default Re: Wal-Mart -- local or online service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg
As long as you're going to give us the details from printing at Wal-Mart, are these services available at your local store?
Local one-hour printing is available here in at least one Wal*Mart. I haven't tried any on-line print servieces because I am on a dial-up connection.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2003, 11:32 PM   #8

Hi I went to wal*mart and all you have to do is just have the images in their original size on cd, disk or camera memory etc. You just tell them what size you want and they will do the rest. It is exactly like BillDrew said to do. I will be taking a cd there on friday for one hour photo. I will let you know more details such as price and quality.
Old Apr 23, 2003, 10:08 PM   #9

Hi, I got 10 images printed out at wal*mart. It is a self serve computer where u pick which pictures and what sizes you want. It is pretty simple to use. The quality on my kodak dx4900 was excellent at a 4x6 print. It costs 42 cents a pic Canadian. So, when you want pictures printed just leave them in their native resolution and dpi. I did before on photoshop a bit of cropping and a bit of contrast adjustment before i took them in also.
Old Apr 23, 2003, 10:28 PM   #10

Default Re: Wal-Mart -- local or online service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg
As long as you're going to give us the details from printing at Wal-Mart, are these services available at your local store? I tried their print service online, but received the wrong print and never heard from them again even though I complained when I picked up the photo at my local Wal-Mart. The local store here doesn't print from CD or memory card at this time-- this option is only available at the Kodak Picture Maker kiosk in the store.
By the end of the year, all Wal-Mart stores with photo labs are supposed to have the Fuji Digitial Mini Lab. This will give real, actual phtographic prints. Its the same machine they use for printing pics from film. Even the local Neighborhood Wal-Mart grocery store has one. The kiosk you use takes *everything*. All flash media, CD, DVD, and even has a scanner for scanning prints.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote