Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 22, 2003, 12:38 AM   #1

Default Canon PowerShot G3 or Nikon CoolPix 4500?

I'd really like to get into photomacrography and graphic design, but I also like the allure of longer zoom capabilities. The Nikon CoolPix 4500 has a closer super-macro capability and compatibilty with a number of existing Nikkor lenses, but the Canon G3 has what sounds like a nice 4X 35-140 mm zoom, but I like Nikon's feel of quality construction, and the current rebates are tempting! Lastly, a problem I have with both is their size. I've held the 4500 & found it to be quite small. I miss the size & heft of my old Nikon N4004 SLR, but I can't afford to spend $1000+ on a DSLR. Help, please!

Thanks.

Owlz
Owlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2003, 1:17 AM   #2

If you truly want to get into macro, then i'd go with the 4500 as it has one of the best macro modes i've ever seen. I am pretty sure both come with a built in 4x zoom and not only is the 4500 compatible with nikkor lenses, due to its small thread size, it is compatible with almost any add-on lense out there with the right adapter, and can also be attached to spotting scopes, telescopes and even microscopes.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2003, 9:21 AM   #3

Thanks, Ardvark. Can tele-converters be attached to the Nikon to increase the upper end of the zoom?

Owlz
Owlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2003, 5:13 PM   #4

Of course, an add-on telephoto will multiply whatever optical zoom you are at (including 4x on the 4500) by its own magnification. If you add on a 5x lense, then you'll have up to 20x zoom.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote