Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 9, 2006, 7:53 AM   #11
E.T

I don't think there's any cameras with exactly that feature.
Closest I know are (Konica)Minolta A1 and A2 which have sensor which automatically switches image between LCD and EVF and it can be set to mode in which LCD is always off and proximity sensor triggers just EVF. Also camera can be set to go into sleep mode after one minute inactivity and half pressing shutter wakes it up. (after 30 minute inactivity it shuts down completely)
But those aren't pocket cameras.

amazingthailand wrote:
Quote:
Personally I prefer a good OVF over using an LCD or EVF.
Which OVF shows real time histogram? Also OVF means zero video ability.
Until that's corrected I prefer high resolution (922 000 pixel) EVF.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 12:35 PM   #12

E.T wrote:
Quote:
I have no need of a 'real time histogram'. I only use the histogram for fine tuning exposure in a studio setting. To do that I take a few setup up shots to make final exposure adjustments, after that, I just shoot and never look at the LCD to view a histogram or the images I have taken.

In the field, I have sufficient photography experience to know how to use the camera to get the required exposure. I do not, for instance, ever use the 'P' setting. I know how to meter and how to control my exposure.

As for video, I prefer a dedicated video camera, I have two HDV camcorders for my video needs. Remember the saying, Jack of all trades and master of none. I do not use video cameras for still images and I do not use still cameras for taking video.

I have never seen the EVF on the A1, but I hear it is very good. However, it has also disappeared from the market and has not shown up in any newer cams. One has to wonder why. Was it just price?

But even with the fine A1 EVF, I would still opt for a good OVF any day. One cannot see an LCD or an EVF under very bright ambient light conditions, and the image stuttering under low light conditions is enought to make me hurl (that's upchuck, in case you don't understand hurl).
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 3:16 PM   #13

amazingthailand wrote:
Quote:
E.T wrote:
Quote:
I have no need of a 'real time histogram'. I only use the histogram for fine tuning exposure in a studio setting. To do that I take a few setup up shots to make final exposure adjustments, after that, I just shoot and never look at the LCD to view a histogram or the images I have taken.

In the field, I have sufficient photography experience to know how to use the camera to get the required exposure. I do not, for instance, ever use the 'P' setting. I know how to meter and how to control my exposure.

As for video, I prefer a dedicated video camera, I have two HDV camcorders for my video needs. Remember the saying, Jack of all trades and master of none. I do not use video cameras for still images and I do not use still cameras for taking video.

I have never seen the EVF on the A1, but I hear it is very good. However, it has also disappeared from the market and has not shown up in any newer cams. One has to wonder why. Was it just price?

But even with the fine A1 EVF, I would still opt for a good OVF any day. One cannot see an LCD or an EVF under very bright ambient light conditions, and the image stuttering under low light conditions is enought to make me hurl (that's upchuck, in case you don't understand hurl).
You won't find an OVF in any camera more than about 5X zoom. I would guess the mechanism becomes too large, complex or dim. So if you want plenty of zoom capability there is no choice but EVF.

LCDs can become problematic in bright sunlight but not EVFs. I elected to get a silver FZ10 because black gets too hot in the Florida sun. I was getting reflections off of the silver body due to the odd placement of the EVF, but an eyecup fixed that. I also put an eyecup on my D7i even though it didn't need it for reflections. Besides an eyecup, learning to get your eye very close helps with EVFs.

There is a lot more displayed in an EVF than the histogram. I seldom switch the LCD on or take my eye from the viewfinder with an EVF. All of your settings, modes, metering etc is displayed in the EVF. It also directly reflects the processed image, so if it looks good an the EVF it will probably be OK. The EVF isn't good on its own for fine tuning the image, but it will alert you of a bad setting.

I find the histogram a necessary tool to avoid blowing highlights. Combined with EV shift in program mode it lets you fine tune an image quickly. And with program shift you can get about any combination the camera is capable of without switching from program. I use aperture priority for portraits and action, and use manual for night shots. But EV shift combined with the histogram and/or spot metering lets me handle most difficult lighting in program. It is faster than manual.

A good EVF is also much better than the LCD for manual focus when it is required. Most can be set to automatically zoom the image in manual focus for better focusing. Better cameras have a digital readout of the focus distance in the EVF as well. A LCD is nearly useless for manual focus in bright sunlight and limited in other conditions.

You wouldn't do very well in bright sunlight in manual with only the LCD for metering, settings and focus. An EVF does much better if you always shoot in manual exposure. An optical finder is no help at all in manual exposure modes.

An EVF does take some getting used to coming from a SLR. And some are better than others. But they offer a lot of advantages – the main one being that you can keep your eye in the viewfinder.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 4:36 AM   #14

-if i may suggest, check out the one made by HP, the model number is HP R817 digital camera 5MP & 5X optical zoom, ths LCD display turn OFF after 2 minutes of being idle and turned ON again if u touch the shutter button or i think any buttons on the camera. And if u leave it untouch after around 5 minutes- it goes off completely saving battery life.

-of course you have to have a spare battery, HP R817 is using a proprietary battery which is about average, 100 to 150 shots. do some research on this camera, i am sure you will love it.......

mark
marksotto is offline   Reply With Quote