Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 8, 2006, 6:22 AM   #1

If I were to upgrade my digital camera one of the primary features I'd try to find is long battery life. Does anyone know of a camera that allows you to turn off the screen until you hold the shutter button down halfway? The screen should remain on for a few seconds should you need to let go of the shutter button to re-focus the shot. After taking the photo you should be able to view the photo and then the screen should turn off again.

I'm looking for a normal compact digital camera. I'm not interested in using the viewfinder and leaving the screen off. Half the benefit of having a screen is so that you can easily see what you're getting. However I don't need to have the screen on and the CCD draining my battery when I'm not using the camera for anything.

You only ever need to use the screen when you are taking a photo so I don't understand why most cameras don't have this feature. Does anyone know of a camera that does this?
alexspurling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2006, 7:20 AM   #2

Go to Best Buy or Circuit City and play with the many brands of cameras they have hooked up as demo's. Then you could just pay for the features you need or want.

Ronnie:|
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 11:41 AM   #3

Well I could do that, but the places near me are unlikely to have the kind of selection of cameras compare to the vast number that actually exist. I do intend to visit a shop and try some of the cameras in-store, however I would like to be able to narrow it down just a little first.

My worry is that no camera has the feature I've mentioned for reasons that I can't quite understand. So can anyone tell me if it exists or not?
Old May 8, 2006, 12:56 PM   #4

alexspurling wrote:
Quote:
However I don't need to have the screen on and the CCD draining my battery when I'm not using the camera for anything.
You only ever need to use the screen when you are taking a photo so I don't understand why most cameras don't have this feature. Does anyone know of a camera that does this?
I don't know of any camera with this feature, but that is not to say it does not exist.

However, on those where the LCD has been turned off, I think the CCD is still on, unless the camera has entered sleep mode.

Personally I prefer a good OVF over using an LCD or EVF.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 1:12 PM   #5

Find a camera that will take 300+ photos with the LCD on. Unless you plan on buying an enormous card, battery life isn't a big consideration for many cameras. They have improved the electronics to the point where it isn't a big deal if you select the right camera. There are LCD only cameras on the market that take plenty of shots with the LCD on, which is the only way they can be rated.

I have avoided cameras without an eyelevel viewfinder. All of those have a display button that rotates through turning the LCD off. They will turn the LCD on for a few seconds after you take the photo if you activate the review function. And it's easy enough to turn the LCD on when you want to use it for framing.

I don't know of a camera that activates the LCD with a half press of the shutter. It might have been a handy feature in the past, but is sufficiently unnecessary with current battery life that it isn't likely to be added to new cameras.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 6:57 PM   #6

I don't that something like that exists either. But I do know that my Brothers Sony T33 has an LCD that will stay on with the Backlight off. That will save on battery a lot. But the downside is that it has to be sufficiently bright outside otherwise it will be difficult to see the LCD without any backlight. Plus I like the fact that the Sony's battery tells you how many minutes until the battery will die.
Juice_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 12:32 AM   #7

Rechargeable batteries and chargers are inexpensive if you get a model that accepts AA cells. If you buy two sets for your camera, one set charged and ready to use as a field spare, and your camera is of reasonably recent manufacture, you should be able to shoot all day without losing power. I would suggest getting a spare battery even if your model doesn't use AA cells.

The exception to my recommendation might be for Sony cameras with the InfoLithium system. Extra batteries are more expensive than most and, unlike most camera/battery systems, the InfoLithium system tells you with some accuracy how much charge remains. You thus will have a pretty good idea when your InfoLithium battery will run out of power and can plan accordingly.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 1:19 AM   #8

Juice_22 wrote:
Quote:
I don't that something like that exists either. But I do know that my Brothers Sony T33 has an LCD that will stay on with the Backlight off. That will save on battery a lot. But the downside is that it has to be sufficiently bright outside otherwise it will be difficult to see the LCD without any backlight. Plus I like the fact that the Sony's battery tells you how many minutes until the battery will die.
Unfortunately they don't make transreflective screens for digital cameras anymore that I am aware of. They would be a very good feature - especially with the trend toward cameras without any other viewfinder. Some current hybrids have them and Sony put it on the discontinued T33, but unfortunately they didn't put it on any of their current cameras. I wish they did still put them on digital cameras. A T9 or T30 would be very appealing with a transreflective screen. Those screens are excellent in bright sunlight.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 6:31 AM   #9

I think the reason they don't do that is because primarly you're setting up your photo with the LCD screen. thus as you're trying to get everyuone int he photo you can't see what you're looking at, so then you'll need to turn the LCD screen on to make sure you ahve your framing right, onyl eleminated the purpose you would turn it off to begin with. Regardless, there are cameras out there with fantastic battery life, the new Sony W series (W50/W30) have 390/400 photo's per charge respectivley. That's tested on an international standard - turn camera on, zoom all the way in, then back out, take 10 photo's, half with flash, half without, then turn camera off and repeat process. all this is done wityh the LCD on. Also both cameras use an OVF so you can jsut keep the screen off and use the viewfinder to get more battery life
RightyInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 6:49 AM   #10

Yeah I think I will just have to go for a camera with a decent battery life. The Casio EX-Z850 and EX-Z750 both look really good and are supposed to have really good battery life too. Will have to look at those Sony's as well.