Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 14, 2006, 1:08 PM   #1

I am in a dilema.

My dilema is, should I buy a 2x teleconverter and fit it to my bell and howel 70-210 lens or just buy a 300mm lens?

Will the teleconverter effect the images I take, will that look un-natural?

I honestly don't know, this is my first digital SLR, and photography is new to me.

Your advice please.
kung-fu-alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2006, 1:31 PM   #2
VP

If you want sharpest, go with the prime (my opinion). My recent experience with 2X TCisn't satisfactory to me for clarity. On really close shots it does fairly decent but I take very few shots that are at arms length.

I think others here that have tried them will probably have similiar comment.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 1:42 PM   #3

Being skint at the moment, I can only afford a SIGMA ZOOM APO 75-300mm 1:4 - 5.6, its going for £50 on eBay, and looks in immaculate condition.

Would you recommend this type of budget lens, or am I better off holding out and saving for a Nikon or Tamron for my D50.

I essentially want to take pictures of the moon, if my maths are correct a 300mm lens should be 9 X magnification, which I feel is adaqate for me at the moment.

Someone told me that the D50 has 1.5 time magnification anyway, so in theory a 300mm lens should become 450mm, but I am not quite sure if this if fact or not?

I don't want the facility to see inside craters, I just want to get a decent shot of a full moon.

Plusbeing realistic, it will be years before I can afford a new 500mmlens.

If you, or anyone else can offer my any advice on this, please feel free.

Old May 14, 2006, 3:01 PM   #4
VP

In that case (for moon shots).....if you had the lens and a 2X TC and ona tight equipmentbudget, you could probably come away with decent enough clarity.

Of course if you wantSOME crater detail, those would be better taken at less than full moon.

I have some experience with tight budget for hobby:-) I would say however that with photography equipment if you don't buy quality you will buy it again.....depending on how particular you are of course. I would love to have a Canon 600mm prime but I can't justify that for a hobby.
Old May 14, 2006, 6:50 PM   #5

The problem isn't as much the quality of the shot sharp-ness wise.

The problem is that you'll loose 2 stops of light. So if you're 200mm lens was f4 (which it probably isn't) then you'd be shooting at f8 with the 2xTC. That makes a 1/500th of a second shot into a 1/125th. That can be the difference between getting a "keeper" and deleting the image.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 7:31 PM   #6
VP

Eric.....in my case I have a 2X TC on a Sigma 70-200F2.8 EX.All of mineusing it have been in good light.Not that my abilities are the best, but I began to wonder and then read other comments and also a test using TC to reach 400mm and saw the results. Similiar to mine.

Of course the closer the birds are the better job it does.
Old May 14, 2006, 8:25 PM   #7

I am trying to get shots of the moon, so I am wondering if the lack of light would be such an issue?

Old May 14, 2006, 8:49 PM   #8
VP

You should have no problem with that setup and using a tripod. Experiment with shutter speed,f.stop and ISO settings. The D50 is certaintly capable. I have taken some pretty decent moon shots with FZ20 with IS at ISO 100, f5.6, and 1/160. That is also using a 1.54x TC giving mea little better than 600mm equivalent. You should be able to use higher ISO. Others use different settings and get decent results.

I have not taken any moon shots with my Canon 30D but settings would be different.